PDA

View Full Version : 180g ClownFish Harem Build (yes another.. lol)

Zagzoo71
09/11/2017, 06:33 PM
Must be the theme all of a sudden, hahaha!

So, while I am waiting for my tank to recover from marine velvet. I decide as well to turn my 180g in the wall to a clownfish harem tank.

Tank has been fallow for 3 weeks.. I had 1 survivor that I couldn't catch for 2 months. Tank has been up and running now for 6 months.

For exporting nutrients I run a skimmer and a algae scrubber (11x10 screen)

The plan is for 40 clownfish from the same clutch, just trying to decide which species to go with.

Since i have till 11/1/17 before I can add fish.. started dropping BTA's in the tank. With 40 clown fish.. I am gonna start out with 20-24 BTA's. The plan is to get them in the tank and growing till them.

4/24 BTA's!!

The video shows 1 RBTA from the weekend, and today I trade some coral for 2 rbta and 1 bright green BTA. Gonna make my aquascape look like skittles!

https://youtu.be/V9hY5JBH7YQ

Here is a pic from the today's additions:

Zagzoo71
09/16/2017, 05:41 PM
BTA Update...

Well... 3/4 of the first BTA's stayed put for one week, getting ready to possibly add 10 - 12 more in the next few days. One of the 2 new rbta's is mia.. been missing for 8hrs.. so i guess 3/4 staying put were i placed them isnt bad to start.

Zagzoo71
09/17/2017, 06:43 PM
9 GBTA's into the tank now.. grand total of 13 BTA's. 9 green, 1 bright neon green, and 3 RBTA's. Have some rainbows on reserve for next months frag meet.

And the gbta's have started their evening walk to see were they are happy!

D-Nak
09/18/2017, 10:15 AM
Have you decided on which species of clownfish?

I guess it's a little late to recommend not going with BTAs, but if you're planning to have ocellaris or percula, having either magnifica or gigantea anemones makes for a nice display. Once settled in, IME both mags and gigs don't wander much, unlike BTAs. They're both difficult to find and need to be QTed, but after that point, I consider them very hardy anemone despite what you may read.

One BTA in your MP40 could take out your whole tank. 20 of them is asking for trouble. I've gotten a large gig stuck in an MP40 and it actually stopped the wetside from spinning. The result was an injured nem (it eventually recovered) but my point is that it didn't nuke the entire tank because the nem wasn't turned into a puree.

Zagzoo71
09/18/2017, 12:04 PM
I got foam covers on order for my power heads to keep them out. Still deciding on what species of clowns to go with.

Zagzoo71
09/23/2017, 12:38 PM
Little update.. been about 1 week since I added 9 GBTA's (7 made it) and added 1 RBTA past thursday. Redid some rock work to get a few gbta to move into view.. everyone basically settled in and happy.. no one has moved it last 4 days.

Youtube Link:

ClownFish Harem.. 13 BTA's (https://youtu.be/oVVeI9DiJwg)

Zagzoo71
09/27/2017, 01:43 PM
can I mix any other nem with bta's? or will it be a sting fest if they get to close?