PDA

View Full Version : How to Purge a Display Tank - RESET?

asonitez
09/11/2017, 08:02 PM
So,
For what it's worth I believe that since the ich and possibly velvet parasite has attacked my display fish, (brought in by using chaeto from another reefers display.) At least I think it was the chaeto. I have to reset my display. Fortunately I don't have any coral and I don't have any inverts.

Currently my display total volume is around 250 gallons. I have about 180 lbs of live rock.

Fish list

2 diamond spot goby
1 solar wrasse
1 grey head wrasse
1 scarlet ruby wrasse
1 tricolor wrasse
1 6 line wrasse
2 lyretail anthias
1 long nose hawkfish
3 Small yellow tangs

Currently my display is in hypo running at 1.009.

I have a thing my disposal a fully cycled 30 gallon quarantine running st 1.024
1 20 gallon long breeder tank and a filter.
1 10 gallon regular tank.
2 gallons of marine pure media fully cycled

I plan to do the following.

Drain 15 gallons from the cycled 30 gallon quarantine.
Fill the 20 breeder with 10 gallons of the drained water from the quarantine.
Refill the 30 gallon with 10 gallons fresh RODI
Refill the 20 gallon quarantine with 10 gallons fresh RODI
Refill the 10 gallon tank with 5 gallons of fresh RODI

Add SEED to each tank except the 10 gallon to jump start or buffer any cycle.

This should bring their salinity into the teens.

Remove my rock from the display after tanking a picture of it and capture the fish.

Split the small fish and tangs between the 30 and 20.
Add all my macro algae to the 10 gallon with an extra light I have.

Copper or chloroquine all fish followed by Prazi. Keep them all quarantined for 4 weeks or more.

Phase 2 kill the tank.

Turn off the lights on the display and add lots of bleach into the display.

Or

Turn off all lights and run fresh water through the display for a full week. Add salt and bring salinity back to normal levels. Add Dr. Tims and recycle the display. I could then add back my shrimp crabs and other cleanup crews to get accustomed to their tank.

Run the tank barebones with cleanup crew until fish are ready to be added back.

Add back the wrasses,clowns,angels and trigger and lastly tangs. In that order.
Finally add back in my chaeto.

Is this a solid plan? Is there a simpler way of killing anything in the display to reset?

JustinM
09/11/2017, 08:29 PM
How long have you been running hypo? Hypo will not kill velvet if that's what it was.

Is your rock going back into the DT after treatment? Also, wrasses do not handle CP at all so make sure to use copper on them.

asonitez
09/11/2017, 08:47 PM
Here's the thing. I have been at hypo since Thursday night. Currently no one else has died. They are eating but I still see spots in fins and my yellow tang is a little faded. I understand velvet kills fast. I have had a few fish die but I don't know if it was ich or velvet or brook or what. They all look so similar. This way is safest I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustinM
09/12/2017, 06:51 AM
Brook looks much different than velvet and ich so you would know.

My experience with velvet is that it starts out like ich(appearance wise) but within hours to maybe a few days it then looks like the dreaded velvet. Sometimes the fish fight it off the first round but the second round will come back with a vengeance.

To rid a tank of all parasites and bacteria, I would personally run fallow for a minimum of 76 days, even better if you run it longer. Brook and velvet is 6 weeks but ich is 76 days. This seems to be the easiest way but the route of bleach will also work.

Are you going to dry the rock out, nuke it as well?

asonitez
09/12/2017, 06:54 AM
Nope I'm gonna throw 1/2 gallon of bleach into the display for 24 hours followed by prime for 24 hours 1 flush followed by a 100% water change and then refill with fresh RODI add salt and dr Tims

JustinM
09/12/2017, 07:06 AM
So if nothing is going to be done to the rock, why nuke the tank? Everything will still be on the rock. Just seems to be an extra step that isn't needed.

asonitez
09/12/2017, 07:07 AM
I'm bleaching everything rock sand pumps everything

JustinM
09/12/2017, 07:11 AM
Ok, missed that. Well I believe bleach will take care of everything.

You seem to have a pretty solid plan.