PDA

View Full Version : Raised red lump on spot breast angel

Reef908
09/11/2017, 09:03 PM
So I have a male spot breast angel in QT. He made it through TTM fine and was eating (still is but less appetite recently). He has developed a strange growth on his chin below his lip. I have him in with a powder blue tang who seems fine but does have darker coloring around his gill plates now compared to before with a paler body. I have given 3 doses of paraguard followed with 100% water change and now first does of kanaplex. I have been trying to get a good ID as to what I am battling. It's raised, just below his lip, almost has like a skin tag type look and and an uneven diameter of about the same size as his spot on his belly. It does not look like the ureoma that decimated my fish a few years ago so I have been treating as a bacteria/fungal infection while I research. Anyone have any thoughts? Paraguard had no effect on it and it appears over the course of a week. He is very hard to get a good pic of.

JustinM
09/11/2017, 09:34 PM
It's hard to tell in the pic what it is exactly. My clown had something similar when he was in qt, went through copper, metro, kanaplex, and furan 2. Nothing seemed to help the growth.

It eventually went away when he was moved from qt so I just assumed it was stress related.

I am still trying to figure out the effectiveness of Paraguard. It seems a lot of people are using it and it isn't doing too much. Maybe it's more of a management tool rather than a treatment option.

How long has your fish been in qt?

Reef908
09/11/2017, 09:43 PM
Yeah I am not sure how effective it is as well which is why I switched to the kanaplex.

I've had him for about a month now so around 2 weeks in observation at this point. I'm not sure I'd risk some of my other fish by moving him into the display while not knowing what it is. I also dont know what to do with the powder blue too. Same QT and not showing any signs/symptoms really but I don't want to introduce anything to my display if he is a carrier and not showing symptoms....

Reef908
09/11/2017, 09:44 PM
Oh and they both had 2 rounds of prazi and 2 formalin dips while going through TTM.

JustinM
09/12/2017, 07:56 AM
I don't recommend throwing in the DT. Possibly finish what you're doing and then sterilize the tank and keep the fish in there till it clears up. I put my clown through so many different meds that I think it was a viral infection that took over while her immune system was down.

I'll try and find a pic of her to post and see if that is what it is compared to your angel.

JustinM
09/12/2017, 08:03 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170912/ecb65421a9b80d18eb496097d8b0c7f6.jpg

Here was my clown that had the lump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reef908
09/12/2017, 09:49 AM
Yeah! Looks very similar actually except my fish has a bit more red in it. Did you notice this happen to any other fish the clown was near? How long approximately did it take to heal?

Thanks for the quick replies by the way!

JustinM
09/12/2017, 10:44 AM
No other fish were affected. She was in qt with about 9 other fish. I tried everything and nothing seemed to work till I moved her to a separate quarantine with my mandarin, where she still is today. I would say the lump lasted about 2 months and within a week of being in the new tank, it was gone. Maybe a coincidence, I don't know.

Reef908
09/12/2017, 11:25 AM
Thanks. I'm moving it to its own cycled QT today. We will see!

Reef908
09/27/2017, 10:40 PM
So this issue is still live and present. Kanaplax and paraguard have done nothing. He is in a qt tank with live rock and he eats well still. Got two new pics but it's still real hard to photo. Anyone have any ideas??