PDA

View Full Version : 1" return vs flow and outlet of return pumo

Zacktosterone
09/12/2017, 12:23 PM
So this is my problem.... Besides the typo in the title...
I have a 250 gallon tank that I NEED 2500 gpu to go through the return. The tank is drilled for 1" but every pump that is internal that I can find besides an l1 vectra has an outlet of 1.5" is the OUTLET reducible without damaging the pump. Remember that the tank is drilled for 1"

billdogg
09/12/2017, 01:04 PM
sure you can reduce the size of any pumps outflow without hurting the pump. No different than using a ball valve or having increase head height. You will also greatly reduce the flow by doing so.

And I gotta ask - Why so much through the sump? That's 100x turnover through the sump.

ca1ore
09/12/2017, 01:40 PM
Or perhaps 10x ......

The reason most flow (rather than pressure) pumps have a 1 1/2" output is that it is next to impossible to get 2,500 gph out of 1". If you want to get the max out of your pumo, keep it at 1 1/2" right up to the 1" restriction.

billdogg
09/12/2017, 05:04 PM
sure you can reduce the size of any pumps outflow without hurting the pump. No different than using a ball valve or having increase head height. You will also greatly reduce the flow by doing so.

And I gotta ask - Why so much through the sump? That's 100x turnover through the sump.

Or perhaps 10x ......

The reason most flow (rather than pressure) pumps have a 1 1/2" output is that it is next to impossible to get 2,500 gph out of 1". If you want to get the max out of your pumo, keep it at 1 1/2" right up to the 1" restriction.

100x - 10x I was close!:spin1:

Vinny Kreyling
09/12/2017, 05:11 PM
Fluval SP6 is 1.25 & MFinn has a brand new one for [email protected] over 3,000 GPH.
I put one on my 250 & it blew the sand around wide open coming back with 2 -3/4 Sea Swirls.

Lsufan
09/12/2017, 06:03 PM
The 1" bulkhead is going to restrict the flow no matter what u do but I would do like calore suggested & use all 1.5" plumbing & reduce down at the bulkhead. Like he said, that will get u the most flow as possible.

I don't think u will get the 2500 gph with the 1" bulkhead but u will be able to get enough flow to where u have no issues & u may even be able to get close to that depending on the pump u choose

bif24701
09/12/2017, 06:22 PM
So this is my problem.... Besides the typo in the title...
I have a 250 gallon tank that I NEED 2500 gpu to go through the return. The tank is drilled for 1" but every pump that is internal that I can find besides an l1 vectra has an outlet of 1.5" is the OUTLET reducible without damaging the pump. Remember that the tank is drilled for 1"

Could you possibly drill and plumb a second return?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slojim
09/12/2017, 08:23 PM
The flow calculator linked on the main page works well. Run it for your setup in all 1-1/2, then change it to include a contraction and a short 1" section. I doubt it changes enough to make you want to re drill

Zacktosterone
09/14/2017, 10:30 AM
Thank you for all the replies so far.
I can't drill for a second return but I can probably add a second pipe, put just over the back instead.
I have a 3/4" bulkhead hole drilled into the eurobrace so I can probably do one over the back if I really wanted. So what I'll do I guess, is get a larger return pump and split it into a 1" and a 3/4" put the 1" through the bottom where it's drilled and put the 3/4" over the back . this way I'll get best of both worlds without getting a second pump

Lsufan
09/14/2017, 06:00 PM
That sounds good but I would still use a 1.25" or 1.5" main line & reduce it down at the bulkheads themselves.

At the very least I would use the 1.5" up until the first tee. Then reduce down from the tee to 1" going to both bulkheads & reduce down to 3/4 at the bulkhead. Doing it this way would still cut the flow down but it is better then using 1" for everything. If u want to maximize the flow then using 1.5" on the hole main line & reducing it at the bulkheads will give u the most flow. U could also do something like 1.5" to the first tee then reduce down to 1.25" the rest of the way until u get to the bulkhead.

Once u figure out what pump u will use u can determine the best route to go, but the larger the pipe u use the less head pressure it will create. I agree with vinny about the fluval sp6. I have one & I love it & it does have a 1.25" output