PDA

View Full Version : Total Newbie Question About Power Head for Nano Tank

Oboeman58
09/12/2017, 12:58 PM
Hello - I am about to set up my first reef tank - an EVO 13.5. I ordered a small power head (Hydor Koralia 240). My equipment is starting to arrive from various sources, and the hydor pump just showed up today. To ensure that it is not faulty (since I won't have water in the tank for a few weeks), I plugged it in quickly to ensure it spins. It spins, but also creates quite a bit of noise - could be describes as screechy. Is this normal for a pump to make this noise when dry? I'm not even sure if one should try to power one up non-submerged, but I only ran it for a second or two to ensure it spins. Do they get quiet when in water?

Sorry for the super-newbie question.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Jadams
09/12/2017, 01:05 PM
I would test it in fresh water in a bucket. But shouldn't be loud once submerged.

murphreef
09/12/2017, 01:08 PM
Normal most powerheads make some bad noise when ran without water. Like mentioned above stick it in a bucket with some fresh water it will be fine.

nano427
09/12/2017, 10:09 PM
I tested my Koralia Nano 240 in a bucket water and it was making a bunch of noise. I thought I got a bad one. But the other day I decided to put it in my tank because I wanted to see if the size of it was ok. The second I put the outside magnet on the Koralia it became dead silent. It must have something to do with how the magnetism pulls on the impeller? Give it a try and see if it works for you too.

Oboeman58
09/13/2017, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I filled a bucket with water, mounted the pump using the magnets, and plugged it in. For the first 10-15 seconds, it made that same screeching noise... and then it abruptly went silent - dead silent! I had to put my hand in front to ensure it was still running. It's moving water, and making no sound at all. SUCCESS!

Thanks again for your input!
Dave

Jadams
09/19/2017, 04:04 PM
:thumbsup: Glad it worked for you!