PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Issu

JMorris271
09/12/2017, 01:29 PM
Hi RC
Like many others our household was hit by Irma which has caused a power outage going on the second day with i don't know how long to go.
My tanks temperature is 64 now. I am looking for a generator but so far none to be found.
What is the min. That a tank can temporally endure?
I have fish. Coral a few inverts.
Thanks

JM

ca1ore
09/12/2017, 01:45 PM
Hard to say. Hardy fish and corals will handle it mostly fine; sensitive ones not so much.

JMorris271
09/12/2017, 01:55 PM
Have 2 tang
2 fire fish
1 azur damsal
I lawnmover Benny
1 multicolor benny
4 clowns

tjm9331
09/12/2017, 02:37 PM
what are you going right now for aeration? Don't get me wrong temp is important but you also want to make sure you're still getting good gas exchange as well.

If you don't have anything to provide surface agitation or air to the tank then you could, in the mean time, take a pitcher scoop up some water and pour it back into the tank from a foot or so above the tank. this will provide some form of gas exchange.

Do you have access to a fire pit or a gas grill? If so put some water in a pot and heat it up then add it to the tank to warm up the water. pour it over the whole surface and not just in one place. Make sure it's not too hot though you don't want to burn anything in the tank.

Tripod1404
09/12/2017, 02:44 PM
what are you going right now for aeration? Don't get me wrong temp is important but you also want to make sure you're still getting good gas exchange as well.

If you don't have anything to provide surface agitation or air to the tank then you could, in the mean time, take a pitcher scoop up some water and pour it back into the tank from a foot or so above the tank. this will provide some form of gas exchange.

Do you have access to a fire pit or a gas grill? If so put some water in a pot and heat it up then add it to the tank to warm up the water. pour it over the whole surface and not just in one place. Make sure it's not too hot though you don't want to burn anything in the tank.

Wouldn't pour hot water to the tank. Best way is to fill a large glass jar halfway (so that it will float) with hot water and put that in to the tank. But without a pump to circulate water, it will be very hard to distribute the heat.

JMorris271
09/12/2017, 03:16 PM
I am doing the pitcher thing giving the water a good agitation. Im not so sure i want to cause fluctuating temperature that i can't control. I am hopeful that we will have power soon. Im tired of pbj.

JMorris271
09/12/2017, 03:19 PM
I am agitating the tank using a pitcher. I want to be very careful about causing any temperature swings by using something like hot water. hopefully we will be getting our power restored shortly.

JVan82
09/12/2017, 05:51 PM
Check the camping section for hand warmers... add a ton to the outside of the tank, should warm the glass and in turn the water... I'm in ga lost power for 12 hrs, that was gonna be my idea, so no idea if it'll work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JVan82
09/12/2017, 05:53 PM
I used this for agitation... just a sprite bottle with air line tube glued through the top. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170912/795a6710396f247d8f040a0f8e0781ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk