PDA

View Full Version : Algae Scrubber Lighting In Canada

Kactai
09/12/2017, 02:41 PM
I've been looking for new lights for my algae scrubber all day on amazon and ebay. The ones I currently have are made with some type of metal and are rusting fast. The only hydroponic grow lights that are affordable ($25-50) and available in Canada are in Aluminium casings.

I'm planing on building an acrylic box for my scrubber soon to help mitigate the spray from the scrubber but I'm assuming the aluminium case will still rust due to evaporation from my sump.

Does anyone have any suggestions or insights that could help? All this online shopping is hurting my brain.

Cheapreef
09/12/2017, 03:21 PM
I've been looking for new lights for my algae scrubber all day on amazon and ebay. The ones I currently have are made with some type of metal and are rusting fast. The only hydroponic grow lights that are affordable ($25-50) and available in Canada are in Aluminium casings.

I'm planing on building an acrylic box for my scrubber soon to help mitigate the spray from the scrubber but I'm assuming the aluminium case will still rust due to evaporation from my sump.

Does anyone have any suggestions or insights that could help? All this online shopping is hurting my brain.

I use one similar to this one. Aluminum doesn't rust it corrodes, the case on mine is powder coated so it's perfect after approx 14 months in my stand/sump area. Only thing on it that was corroding is the power cable outlet fittting. I just covered it in crazy glue as hasn't been a issue since.

https://www.amazon.ca/Flood-Light-Cable-Plant-remote/dp/B016CZJW2S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1505251105&sr=8-4&keywords=LED+grow+light

mcgyvr
09/12/2017, 03:36 PM

I'd suggest you at least give dimensions if you want suggestions..

But yes.. aluminum is a good choice but a splash shield is a good idea no matter what the material..

Kactai
09/12/2017, 04:15 PM
Thanks Cheapreef! That's exactly the one I was looking at!

Kactai
09/12/2017, 04:17 PM
75g tank with 20 g sump. Screen is 12" x 8".