PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic question

SFish
09/12/2017, 02:42 PM
My sump is made out of acrylic. I have two submersible heaters (Eheim Jager). Will these be ok in my sump? They won't melt the acrylic will they?

mcgyvr
09/12/2017, 03:33 PM
It will not be a problem at all.. The holders are plastic too..

Just a tip though.. even though you might have a "fully submersible" heater I would never recommend putting the dial/control section under water..
It WILL fail eventually..

SFish
09/12/2017, 04:09 PM
Thanks Mcgyvr

WLachnit
09/12/2017, 04:43 PM
It will not be a problem at all.. The holders are plastic too..

Just a tip though.. even though you might have a "fully submersible" heater I would never recommend putting the dial/control section under water..
It WILL fail eventually..

Is that usually the mode of failure?. I use two submersed like that. Have had them fail over the years and I guess that is why I use two of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

der_wille_zur_macht
09/12/2017, 04:58 PM
I've had some heaters fail, but I've never had a Jager leak. I've probably owned a few dozen of them and always run them fully submersed, usually laying along the bottom of the sump. Take that for what it's worth.

Lsufan
09/12/2017, 07:05 PM
If I had to guess I bet the majority of people who use jagers have them submerged. I agree with mcgyver but the jagers are so long it's hard to find a spot for them where they aren't submerged. If I can I try to leave the dial out of the water though.

I don't have a acrylic tank but I keep heaters in a brute trash can with no issue, so acrylic will be ok

SFish
09/13/2017, 12:25 AM
My sump is tall so I can set it up with the dials out. Can u super glue on acrylic? I know the suction aren't going to stay put.

mcgyvr
09/13/2017, 04:59 AM
yes you can use superglue on acrylic..

and yes some heaters are better than others but the place where there is a seal is right at the top/dial area.. IF its going to fail.. Thats where its going to happen.. so don't let it be underwater if you can help it..

SFish
09/13/2017, 05:27 AM
Thanks