PDA

View Full Version : Live rock in the sun

Betaktical
09/12/2017, 05:41 PM
Just got about 100lbs of live rock from a guy on Craigslist. Just like everyone else on Craigslist his tank was nasty and was selling it because he was getting out of the hobby. I have it sitting out in the sun right now and it's been there for 3 days. How long should I let it sit before putting in my tank

billdogg
09/12/2017, 05:59 PM
Well, it's no longer live, so after you thoroughly clean it (I'd use a pressure washer) and then maybe some bleach and or acid bath, You can go to the trouble of curing it in a separate holding bin or just start adding it in a piece or two at a time.

Betaktical
09/12/2017, 06:01 PM
Ok thanks. I'm not gonna cure it just gonna do a couple pieces at a time and I will use a pressure washer before adding. I have tried this before to get a rock covered in feather dusters clean but I only left it outside for about 3 days and some of those suckers still survived

mcgyvr
09/12/2017, 06:12 PM
Hope its not loaded with phosphates.. good luck..
Doesn't take long to soak it for a bit and check for phosphates prior to introducing all that to your tank..

You have an established tank right? This isn't a new tank you are talking about is it?

on the spot
09/12/2017, 06:14 PM
Just got about 100lbs of live rock from a guy on Craigslist...

Just kurious Be, what did you pay? and where?

I'm picking some up this week - guy is just working out what he has for weight.

Betaktical
09/12/2017, 06:33 PM
Hope its not loaded with phosphates.. good luck..
Doesn't take long to soak it for a bit and check for phosphates prior to introducing all that to your tank..

You have an established tank right? This isn't a new tank you are talking about is it?

It's kinda new. Been up about six months but the rock I have in there was from another tank I had set up for about a year and used 50% of the water from the old one. And I have an oversized reactor and never had a big algae problem besides bryopsis so I'm not worried about the phosphate. And I don't have much room to actually culture the rock in a tank lol

Betaktical
09/12/2017, 06:38 PM
Just kurious Be, what did you pay? and where?

I'm picking some up this week - guy is just working out what he has for weight.

Well he had a 55 gallon tank that was pretty much full of live rock and I got a couple fish plus a sump with equipment for 150. But i figure I've got about 100 lbs of rock from it. So not much I guess lol