PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic GLue

jbird0420
09/12/2017, 06:04 PM
I have a small leak on my 225g top right. Where the front and right side meet. Luckily it's coming about 4" from the top so if i drain the tank down just enough past the point to plug it I'm thinking..

What glue would work best and just a dab of glue to reseal or what would be the best way to seal this small leak?

Thanks!

bertoni
09/12/2017, 08:06 PM
Is this an acrylic tank? If so, I'd use one of the acrylic glues. For a glass tank, a good cleaning and a silicone aquarium glue should work. There are a lot of silicone glues with anti-mold agents for kitchens and bathrooms. They will poison the animals in the tank, so be careful with substitutes.

jbird0420
09/12/2017, 08:16 PM
Yes, this is an acrylic tank. 225g with 1/2" acrylic sides. I'm looking at the "Weld ON" glues for acrylic.

Is this an acrylic tank? If so, I'd use one of the acrylic glues. For a glass tank, a good cleaning and a silicone aquarium glue should work. There are a lot of silicone glues with anti-mold agents for kitchens and bathrooms. They will poison the animals in the tank, so be careful with substitutes.

bertoni
09/12/2017, 09:28 PM
Weld On should be fine. I think that's what I used. I haven't heard of an acrylic glue that was a problem.

mcgyvr
09/13/2017, 05:56 AM
If you can clamp the acrylic to pull the pieces of material so they are touching (aka NO gap at all) then use weldon 4 (scigrip4 now)..
If there is a gap then use weldon 16 (scigrip 16)..
4 is like water and won't seal gaps..
16 is like well.. model cement consistency and will seal gaps.
https://www.estreetplastics.com/Weld-On-s/292.htm

jbird0420
09/13/2017, 07:31 AM
Hi, thanks for the help. I have a small gap where the top acrylic piece of the tank meets the corner. I'd say the length of the gap is 3 inches. The gap is maybe big enough to fit my fingernail into. That I would need 16 for?
If so, would you use a syringe like 4 to apply?

Thanks!

If you can clamp the acrylic to pull the pieces of material so they are touching (aka NO gap at all) then use weldon 4 (scigrip4 now)..
If there is a gap then use weldon 16 (scigrip 16)..
4 is like water and won't seal gaps..
16 is like well.. model cement consistency and will seal gaps.
https://www.estreetplastics.com/Weld-On-s/292.htm

jbird0420
09/13/2017, 07:32 AM
Great! Thanks for the advice.
Weld On should be fine. I think that's what I used. I haven't heard of an acrylic glue that was a problem.

McPuff
09/13/2017, 09:39 AM
Just make sure you use clamps or the acrylic cement can cause the seams to weaken. This should also help to minimize the gap and help the cement to be more effective.

mcgyvr
09/13/2017, 09:41 AM
Hi, thanks for the help. I have a small gap where the top acrylic piece of the tank meets the corner. I'd say the length of the gap is 3 inches. The gap is maybe big enough to fit my fingernail into. That I would need 16 for?
If so, would you use a syringe like 4 to apply?

Thanks!

If you can squeeze the material back to eliminate the gap then 3 or 4 is fine..
But if not then absolutely 16.. 3 or 4 will not fill any gaps at all.. I mean even paper thin won't be filled with 3 or 4..

I personally might scrap the tank though.. If its already splitting.. Its just going to get worse.. At the very least I would reinforce it with a strip of acrylic over it..