PDA

View Full Version : How does Tanked do it?

Mikemac116
09/12/2017, 07:14 PM
So I love watching the show Tanked. But my one problem with the show is they always put these amazing fish 10 minutes after the tank is set up!! How do they do that? No cycle? They are always putting some boxes of water in, is it special water?

Thanks for the help

Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CButkos
09/12/2017, 07:25 PM
Most likely the bioballs in their filters are already cycled before they install the tank, they do mostly fish only tanks without any live rock. The boxed water isn't special, a lot of fish stores have it, they probably get paid to use it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

CCWS
09/12/2017, 07:31 PM
I heard they take the fish out after the photo shoot.

FullBoreReefer
09/12/2017, 07:49 PM
Editing is their best friend. In reality, I'm sure they're adding bottled bacteria, but remember, us watching an hour long show could actually be over a course of a few days install

thegrun
09/12/2017, 08:41 PM
Several of their tanks have crashed shortly after set-up. If you use fully cycled rock it is possible to stock a tank right away, but there is a risk in doing so.

mcgyvr
09/13/2017, 04:37 AM
The magic of TV...

homer1475
09/13/2017, 05:17 AM
OMG!!!!

Are you actually telling me they don't meet the client, design the tank, build it, install it, and stock it in an hour?

Blasphemy!!!

mcgyvr
09/13/2017, 08:00 AM
Now there are certainly ways that you can safely do what the TV magic is making it seem like its doing.. (kind of... mass stocking aside)

Using live rock, small bioload additions,etc...

ca1ore
09/13/2017, 08:34 AM
Right, it's like the companies that maintain house plants in office buildings. Something starts to look bad .... it get's replaced.

nereefpat
09/13/2017, 08:42 AM
Keep in mind that they are not a service company. They only build tanks. They aren't taking care of the system or the livestock. That is somebody else's problem.

ericarenee
09/13/2017, 09:43 AM
That show is Recorded over a period of time Not all in the same day...

Sk8r
09/13/2017, 09:53 AM
Warning label on cape: "This garment does not enable you to fly."
Can TV mislead? Oh, yes.

scooter31707
09/14/2017, 07:38 AM
So I love watching the show Tanked. But my one problem with the show is they always put these amazing fish 10 minutes after the tank is set up!! How do they do that? No cycle? They are always putting some boxes of water in, is it special water?

Thanks for the help

Mike.

The special water is natural sea water.

lagatbezan
09/14/2017, 09:07 AM
I would love to be able to see how many of those fish actually survive after a couple of weeks. a lot of people see that show and assume you can just add whatever, whenever to the tank. Like my wife, when the show started, she would ask me: "me why I qt the fish? just dump them in like they do on TV!"
but they do use live sand and sea water so that might help with the new tank not going through a cycle when setup initially.
Some of the tanks they build I'm not sure how they are even able to feed the fish daily! it would take 30-60 min just to disassemble the top or to bottom to get to the tank to feed lol.

on the spot
09/14/2017, 11:47 AM
Warning label on cape: "This garment does not enable you to fly."

That would have been handy when I was a kid.

what doesn't kill you leaves something for your dad to do.