PDA

View Full Version : What are these spongy white things?

RussC
09/13/2017, 04:31 AM
I've got a handful of lications that have this spongy, thick white stuff growing. It doesn't break up when you touch it. It appeared after I spilled some pellet food in the tank. And I suspect it's growing over what remains. But there is also some on the rocks. It's strange and new to me. Any ideas? A pic should be attached if I did it right.

mcgyvr
09/13/2017, 04:34 AM
I really can't see anything in that picture (too far away/out of focus)..
But its probably a sponge.. Very common to have sponges that look spongy :lmao:

homer1475
09/13/2017, 05:24 AM
As mcgyver said, hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like sponges to me.

RussC
09/13/2017, 07:31 AM
Yea, now that I can see the pic, its worthless. I did that from my phone. I'll see if I can do better.

nfrench2100
09/13/2017, 11:10 AM
I've got a handful of lications that have this spongy, thick white stuff growing. It doesn't break up when you touch it. It appeared after I spilled some pellet food in the tank. And I suspect it's growing over what remains. But there is also some on the rocks. It's strange and new to me. Any ideas? A pic should be attached if I did it right.
I have the same in my tank and they have been identified as sponges also. Look pretty identical to what you have

mcgyvr
09/13/2017, 11:47 AM
^^ Those as sponges for sure...
And good quality pics too..

Come on Russ.. Step it up man.. ;)

EzReefs
09/13/2017, 12:22 PM
Pineapple sponges

LuizW13
09/13/2017, 02:31 PM
If they are in the exact same locations as the pellets, it could be a bacteria bloom that's growing on top of the decaying pellets.

I had the same thing happen when i was cycling my tank. If you scoop it out, you may even be able to see the pellet under the white stuff.