PDA

View Full Version : lighting help plz

fsu
09/13/2017, 10:19 AM
so I am in the process of setting up a 60g rimless frag tank.

Size is 48x24x12. I'd like to get a few suggestions on lights that I could use thats good enough for any type of corals....from Zoa's to SPS. The one problem I have though is hanging the lights. I don't have that option atm.

TIA

mcgyvr
09/13/2017, 11:18 AM
You want T5 or LED or MH or a combo or what?

Got a budget?
Specific wants? wifi/smartphone control? storms modes?
Any heating concerns? (t5 and MH may elevate water temperatures)
Gonna have a canopy?

The Photon V2 is a good "mid priced" LED fixture with some fun bells/whistles..
https://www.reefbreeders.com/new-photon-v2/

jda
09/13/2017, 03:35 PM
If you are into plug-and-play, 4 bulb T5 would be fine on a tank like that. It is your best best for success IMO. Just a hydroponics fixture with some reef-quality bulbs will be fine... you can set them on top of the tank with just a 2x4 on each end (kinda broke-azz looking, but works just fine).

I use 20K Radium over my 12" frag tanks, but you have to be pretty serious if you want to do that... it is a LOT of light. However, the zoas, jawbeakers and bounces grow like crazy under them (the only non-acropora that I keep). I don't recommend this unless you have a specific reason like wanting to grow lots of acropora frags.

LED can be fine, but being so shallow, blending light with a wider panel like AcroOptics, Pacific Sun or ReefBreeders can be hard. The point source like Kessil and Radion don't spread very well and you end up needing a lot of units. Any of them can get hotspots which are hard to take away in shallow tanks. If you want to be able to tweak them, then some of these are your only choice. If you want the stuff just for you like blacklight, thunderstorms, etc., then these are also your only choice. You can do well with these for most corals, but they will be more work.

FWIW - I would advise not to say SPS... specifically state the type of SPS that you want to keep, Montis, Birdsnest, Stylophora and Pocilopora have SIGNIFICANTLY different light requirements than acropora. You will get better advice if you know what you want to keep.

fsu
09/13/2017, 04:54 PM
WiFi would be great, however I am thinking maybe going for T5s. Not 100% though. No canopy or heat concerns

QUOTE=mcgyvr;25212457]You want T5 or LED or MH or a combo or what?

Got a budget?
Specific wants? wifi/smartphone control? storms modes?
Any heating concerns? (t5 and MH may elevate water temperatures)
Gonna have a canopy?

The Photon V2 is a good "mid priced" LED fixture with some fun bells/whistles..
https://www.reefbreeders.com/new-photon-v2/[/QUOTE]

fsu
09/13/2017, 05:05 PM
I plan to use this frag tank for myself and a few friends. Plan to put in some high $ frags, let them grow out enough to make more frags then swap between us. Easier to spend a couple hundred each and get a half dozen frags, then to have to pay for them individually.

I get what you are saying about the different kinds of sps. Honestly didn't think of that. With that said I would like to grow out all if it's possible. I'm leaning towards T5s, but thinking maybe a fixture with legs to sit on tank but not with 2x4s lol, great idea!!!