PDA

View Full Version : Brown blotch on Atlantic blue tang

Vbwjjeep
09/13/2017, 03:44 PM
So before I start the fish seems healthy swims around eats a lot. He's still. Little skiddish as he's new to the tank. I'm sure this is probably stress and he's in the color change stage anyways of the ABT. He's about a week old and has no issues at all. Only thing he does is like flop his body and brush the sand. I do have an algea outbreak as it's a newer tank. Everything is good nitrates a little high at like 8ppm. Everything is great in the tank none of the obvious things. Just thoughts is it just stress maybe his color changing. Just want some thoughts. I'll answer any questions y'all have to clarify things.

Vbwjjeep
09/13/2017, 03:46 PM
Here is another picture of it

JustinM
09/13/2017, 07:19 PM
Looks like a bacterial infection. Is he in the DT?

For now I would Vitamin soak his food and be sure to feed lots of nori.

Let us know if anything changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vbwjjeep
09/14/2017, 07:56 AM
Looks like a bacterial infection. Is he in the DT?

For now I would Vitamin soak his food and be sure to feed lots of nori.

Let us know if anything changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes he's in the DT.

JustinM
09/14/2017, 09:35 AM
What are your water parameters? The rock looks very new.

Vbwjjeep
09/14/2017, 09:40 AM
What are your water parameters? The rock looks very new.

Water parameters are all good. Nitrates are the only ones registered and they are at 6ppm

Vbwjjeep
09/14/2017, 09:41 AM
Water parameters are all good. Nitrates are the only ones registered and they are at 6ppm

I'll do a test when I get home though and give y'all exact numbers

Vbwjjeep
09/14/2017, 10:18 AM
So I double checked the parameters and the only 2 that changed were harness is only 7 and calcium is only 360ish but I have to double check that because I think it may have been a bad reading. So the only worry is the ph being lower than I like. It's normally solid at 8-9. Any thoughts? That with the fish sick

JustinM
09/14/2017, 10:35 AM
You mean your alkalinity, dKh, not pH right? 9 pH would be very alkaline. If you're nitrates are only 6 and you aren't registering anything on ammonia and nitrite, I would just stick with soaking his food in vitamins and feeding nori. If anything gets worse I would be ready to pull him and put in a qt and treat with antibiotics.

Vbwjjeep
09/14/2017, 10:38 AM
You mean your alkalinity, dKh, not pH right? 9 pH would be very alkaline. If you're nitrates are only 6 and you aren't registering anything on ammonia and nitrite, I would just stick with soaking his food in vitamins and feeding nori. If anything gets worse I would be ready to pull him and put in a qt and treat with antibiotics.

Yes sorry. I got some melafix to help a little as well. Being a newer tank I can ge away without the skimmer for a week. They are going to be fed well 3 times a day. Not heavy each time just break it up more throughout the day. He still acts and eats healthy. Looks good other than the blotch. Hoping it's just bacterial and he will do fine.

JustinM
09/14/2017, 11:08 AM
Bacterial infections can become very bad quick but as long as he is healthy, he should fight it off. Just keep an eye on him.

Vbwjjeep
09/14/2017, 03:17 PM
Bacterial infections can become very bad quick but as long as he is healthy, he should fight it off. Just keep an eye on him.

I looked up pictures of bacterial infections and that definely looks like what it is. The malifex (spelling?) is in there now. Coral closed up but has since reopened. Read a lot of things about it but the LFS said if used properly it's fine. Haven't had a single issue 4 hours after dosing. Coral is open again crabs snails are all happy as can be. Crabs hid a bit but I can see them slowly resurfacing.

JustinM
09/14/2017, 05:05 PM
To properly treat the bacterial infection, all fish will need pulled out and treated. For now just try and keep him healthy.

Vbwjjeep
09/14/2017, 05:21 PM
He will be treated will melafix for now but I'm going to be setting up a hospital tank in the mean time for future use and for him if it gets bad.