PDA

View Full Version : ID please?

Rani
09/13/2017, 05:41 PM
Can anyone tell me what are these brown polyp looking things are growing on my live rock?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170913/c8e3906b61f446d3674b14934084065d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billdogg
09/13/2017, 06:10 PM
Look like palythoa sp. to me. Can spread very quickly.

heathlindner25
09/13/2017, 06:53 PM
Trash coral that will cause you to do a tear down with in 2 years...hth

Rani
09/13/2017, 06:58 PM
What if put something aggressive like a frogspawn next to it?

nereefpat
09/13/2017, 07:45 PM
I believe that you would have better luck smothering it with epoxy.

Rani
09/13/2017, 07:46 PM
Oh dear....

billdogg
09/14/2017, 12:23 PM
What if put something aggressive like a frogspawn next to it?

They will overgrow and kill pretty much anything they come into contact with. Including you. Palytoxin poisoning is a very real problem that, if you take it seriously, will cause you no harm whatsoever. That means gloves and eye protection if you have to handle them.

I didn't take it seriously enough until I was tearing down a tank filled with them and ended up first in Urgent Care and then at my PCP's office. Got me a week off work!

I can post pictures tonight when I get home if you'd like to see what they can do to a bare arm.

Rani
09/14/2017, 02:48 PM
They will overgrow and kill pretty much anything they come into contact with. Including you. Palytoxin poisoning is a very real problem that, if you take it seriously, will cause you no harm whatsoever. That means gloves and eye protection if you have to handle them.

I didn't take it seriously enough until I was tearing down a tank filled with them and ended up first in Urgent Care and then at my PCP's office. Got me a week off work!

I can post pictures tonight when I get home if you'd like to see what they can do to a bare arm.

Would be curious to see....

billdogg
09/15/2017, 06:07 PM
Sorry it took me an extra day. Pesky job.........

This is my right forearm 1 week after "the incident". Because I work in a busy Electrophysiology Lab frequently scrubbing for implants, this sorta ruled out my working until it was healed enough to stop oozing.

Enjoy!?

https://i.imgur.com/LQU3AOH.jpg?1

The evening it occurred, as my arm was turning red like a bad sunburn, I realized what I had done and told my wife "If I stop breathing call the squad and tell them it is palytoxin poisoning" She gave me a puzzled look. I explained the issue. That didn't really calm her down too much (she's an RN with 30+ years experience). It didn't get any worse that night but woke me up early Easter Sunday morning looking a lot like the picture. I gave her a quick kiss and off the the Urgent Care I went. When asked, I told them what it was and the RN didn't seemed fazed. Then I took off my coat and got whisked right past the other patients to be seen by the Dr. He called Poison Control, who, on speaker phone, asked "is the patient alive?" I answered that yes, I was, but it was hurting quite a bit. Pain meds, Steriods and a suggestion that I visit my PCP the next day. He, being a friend from grade school, just shook his head. Then he cut out a sample to be tested. Without numbing it up first so as to not destroy any toxins remaining. I think he might have enjoyed that....

Anyway - all's well that ends well. I now have a permanent scar to remind me not to be such a dumb#*$. So far, it's worked like a charm!

As I said in my first post - EYE PROTECTION and GLOVES. They can be very pretty. Mine were a deep green that really looked nice in the tank.