PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for a Generator

JMorris271
09/14/2017, 01:15 PM
that can take care of the average tank in a storm.
Any suggestions? Winter is coming.
Thanks

mcgyvr
09/14/2017, 01:32 PM
Whats average anymore? ;)

Here is the most basic that will work just fine for what I might call an "an average tank"..
700W continuous
https://www.harborfreight.com/900-max-starting700-running-watts-2-hp-63cc-2-cycle-gas-generator-epacarb-63025.html

ca1ore
09/14/2017, 02:13 PM
I bought this one ....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6-800-Watt-Idle-Down-Gasoline-Powered-Electric-Start-Portable-Generator-with-Yamaha-MZ360-RD906814P/203183985

Have had all sorts of issues with cheap generators not performing when I need them to. Paid a premium for this one based on a neighbor's experience. Have used it a few times for 6 hour outages; none longer yet. Hopefully the $$ is worth it. Runs more than just the tank though.

The other thing to keep in mind is that since you wont run any portable 24/7, you also need some way to circulate the tank at night when the generator is off. That's why I also have a couple of the ETM battery backup units.

I also make sure to have at least 3 days worth of gas on hand (use fuel stabilizer) once the winter approaches. If it doesn't get used by the end of Spring it goes into the car.

thegrun
09/14/2017, 02:41 PM
I purchased a Honda 3000 watt generator, enough to cover the tank, refrigerator and furnace. 1000 watts would have been fine for my tank, but I would have had a lot of explaining to do to my wife if the generator was keeping the tank running while the refrigerator and heater (winter time outage) were off!

monkeysee1
09/14/2017, 05:42 PM
Hubby and I have a Honda EU 7000 electric start with an inverter -
we figured that's enough power to keep our 90 gallon going for a while! Sucks up the gas like nobody's business, though.
Course now that we have it our power hasn't flickered ONCE in the four years since we purchased it! LOL!

Valentini89
09/14/2017, 06:14 PM
We have a Titan 4800. Just serviced it this past week.

heathlindner25
09/14/2017, 07:06 PM
we figured that's enough power to keep our 90 gallon going for a while! Sucks up the gas like nobody's business, though.
Course now that we have it our power hasn't flickered ONCE in the four years since we purchased it! LOL!

That thing is sexy.

JMorris271
09/14/2017, 09:46 PM
I purchased a Honda 3000 watt generator, enough to cover the tank, refrigerator and furnace. 1000 watts would have been fine for my tank, but I would have had a lot of explaining to do to my wife if the generator was keeping the tank running while the refrigerator and heater (winter time outage) were off!
How do they work. You just have to add gas every 10 hrs or so?

JMorris271
09/14/2017, 09:48 PM

That's a great thing right?

mcgyvr
09/15/2017, 06:10 AM
How do they work. You just have to add gas every 10 hrs or so?

Yes with gas generators all you do is add gas to keep it going...
Its a gas engine that turns and creates electricity.. plain and simple..

You can also get fancy and have transfer switches,etc.. hooked up to your electrical panel so when the power goes out it starts and automatically switches the desired loads (fish room/kitchen-fridge) over to the generator so even if you aren't home you are protected..

Ron Reefman
09/15/2017, 06:30 AM
We have a Powermate/Coleman 5000 watt generator. We got it after Hurricane Charlie back in '04. It has worked through a handful of power outages due to thunderstorms and lightning strikes. I pulled it out last week as Irma was closing in. The plastic tank had cracked so I patched it and ran it for 20 minutes. Filled it with fuel and evacuated. After Irma we came home and it fired right up, but only ran for 20 minutes and died. It would restart by then die in 5 minutes. Turns out the carb jets were dirty (maintenance) and the float bowl is plastic and the 'snaps' where the float clips in broke (Florida heat and UV that eats plastic).

Now I'm looking for better. Oh, and I'll do better maintenance... I promise!

We are even looking into a whole house propane generator with a new circuit breaker box and automatic switch over to generator when the power goes out!

JTL
09/15/2017, 08:18 AM
I have a Coleman/Powermate 6200 watt powered by a Subaru Robin Engine. A good engine is very important. Try to get a Honda, Yamaha or Subaru. My gen is about 5 years old and has been running 24/7 for 6 days without a problem. Uses about 5 gal in 14 hours. Starts with one pull. When the power is restored I will drain the gas, change the oil and it will be good as new.

A handy thing to do is to add a transfer switch. I have one power cord going from the gen to the switch which in turn is hard wired to 6 circuits in the house. Eliminates extension cords running all over the place. A whole house gen would be nice but a little overkill for the limited use it will get. My neighbor has one that sits in an enclosure about the size of a compact car. I think he could power the entire neighborhood. He runs it on propane.

Hitch08
09/15/2017, 08:34 AM
IMO, Honda and Yamaha generators are top notch. You'll pay a premium for them, but both companies have a tremendous amount of experience with small engines. My family owns several Honda's. We bought one probably close to 20 ago for use on our boat (overnights offshore). It's now in my garage. I start it up twice a year, at best, and then let it run for a half hour or so, turn off the gas and let it die. Refill with gas and some fuel preserver. I change the oil and spark plug every [I don't want to admit - can I say several?] years. The dang thing just runs.

My dad forgot to run the gas out of his and the carb got clogged, which required service.

d0ughb0y
09/15/2017, 09:08 AM
first, make sure you have some place OUTSIDE your house to operate it. I saw in news recently someone in Florida got hospitalized because he was running the generator inside his apartment.

I see yamaha clones everywhere. perhaps any 1600watt generator you see is a yamaha clone. harbor freight, costco, amazon sells them in $400-$499 price range.

and figure to use 50-60% the rated capacity.

I got a small generator (800w) from costco back in 2011 and never used it till 2015, and used it twice more since. Its noisy as hell, but when power is out, any running generator is better than no generator.

also, if you get a generator using 2 cycle engine, it requires mixing oil with gasoline. and gasoline is not a stable compound, so you need to add gasoline stabilizer if you are going to store gasoline for more than a month.

ca1ore
09/15/2017, 10:12 AM

Isn't that always the way.

ca1ore
09/15/2017, 10:15 AM
Now I'm looking for better. Oh, and I'll do better maintenance... I promise!

Aint that the truth! Instructions to all mine said to run them weekly (I think); first one I bought I did not do that and ended up with a 'brick'. Now I've ended up running monthly just to make sure it will start when I need it to start. Also gas stabilizer very important.

JTL
09/15/2017, 10:41 AM
first, make sure you have some place OUTSIDE your house to operate it. I saw in news recently someone in Florida got hospitalized because he was running the generator inside his apartment.

I see yamaha clones everywhere. perhaps any 1600watt generator you see is a yamaha clone. harbor freight, costco, amazon sells them in $400-$499 price range.

and figure to use 50-60% the rated capacity.

I got a small generator (800w) from costco back in 2011 and never used it till 2015, and used it twice more since. Its noisy as hell, but when power is out, any running generator is better than no generator.

also, if you get a generator using 2 cycle engine, it requires mixing oil with gasoline. and gasoline is not a stable compound, so you need to add gasoline stabilizer if you are going to store gasoline for more than a month.

Anyone running a generator inside should be institutionalized not hospitalized. Honda is the best imo, but the commercial engine (the one with the cream colored gas tank are superior to the consumer variety). I have a buddy who has both a Honda engine on his pressure washer and a Subaru on his 10hp snow blower. He favors the Subie.

I would not want a 2 cycle for a generator. I am not sure they could stand up to continuous duty and they are smokey and gas hogs.

Sk8r
09/15/2017, 10:51 AM
Be sure you can both lift it and protect it: during a real emergency (prolonged powerout) they are apt to theft. A heavy chain is adviseable.
We lost power for 8 days in winter. I finally cornered a generator, but realized I could not possibly lift it out of the car if the store set it in there. What I finally bought, later, was a Honda with inverter: I can carry it one-handed and it will handle house essentials. You can switch between your house fridge and your tank and your telly.

JamesHolt
09/15/2017, 10:53 AM
I have a Generac 8000 watt... Only used it once since I bought it 2 years ago...
More than what I need but extra power is a good thing...

ericarenee
09/15/2017, 04:23 PM
actually if you check stats on generator sites Kohler small engines are THE BEST.. Above and beyond anything else.. 99% of commercial equipment from bucket trucks to chilled trailers use Kohler engines as they are designed to run without being shut off. You can also find parts and service for them anywhere..

My generator , Lawnmower ,Commercial pressure washer , and Garden tiller all have kohler engines and NEVER have had one to fail without a valid reason..

Honda would be me second chose for reliability ,Subaru then Yamaha .. Generac is one to avoid with a plague..

Do not take my word google is your friend...

ericarenee
09/15/2017, 04:23 PM
GRR Double post..

ohh i would buy a brigs engine over generac...

sorry james

liverock
09/15/2017, 04:27 PM
Runs the whole house like no power failure....

http://www.nextgenerationpower.com/indstdradcooled.html

reefteaser
09/15/2017, 04:39 PM
In my case, it's difficult for me to store a generator. When the one I had for Frances/Jean/Wilma finally rotted, I bought an inverter instead. VERY storable, and traveled with me when we evacuated. Enough power to run the pumps in both tanks. Lights off for a few days no big deal, I just brought them back over a few days. I also had an air conditioned place to sleep (my car), it was quieter than a generator, and only used a little over a quarter tank in 24 hours. Hopefully no long term car problems, but I'll get an oil change anyway.
Once running, tanks were good, except they were off for about 50 hours before I could make it back. RIP 6 fish, 2 damaged acros/birds nest, and maybe lost a new small plate, but 5 fish made it with plenty of other corals.

Scurvy Dawg
09/16/2017, 03:48 PM
Whats average anymore? ;)

Here is the most basic that will work just fine for what I might call an "an average tank"..
700W continuous
https://www.harborfreight.com/900-max-starting700-running-watts-2-hp-63cc-2-cycle-gas-generator-epacarb-63025.html

I have this one and it works great.

bice0004
09/16/2017, 04:13 PM
I bought the 2000watt Yamaha one. Figured I can use it for multi purposes like camping etc when we are not having a power outage. The Yamaha has a fuel shutoff stopcock on the front so it is easy to run the carb dry for storage and it is one of the quietest on the market (search YouTube for comparisons with Honda). I don't think you can go wrong with the Yamaha or Honda as they are almost identical, very reliable, have great reviews, and are easily carried around with one person.

Con is they are expensive but what isn't in this hobby. you get what you pay for.

https://www.yamahagenerators.com/Yamaha-EF2000iSv2-p/ef2000isv2.htm

NCreefer73
09/20/2017, 02:34 PM
I have a Generac 8000 watt... Only used it once since I bought it 2 years ago...

More than what I need but extra power is a good thing...

Same here love my generac it saved my tank more than once just make sure always use non ethanol gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgln
09/20/2017, 03:32 PM
actually if you check stats on generator sites Kohler small engines are THE BEST.. Above and beyond anything else.. 99% of commercial equipment from bucket trucks to chilled trailers use Kohler engines as they are designed to run without being shut off. You can also find parts and service for them anywhere..

My generator , Lawnmower ,Commercial pressure washer , and Garden tiller all have kohler engines and NEVER have had one to fail without a valid reason..

Honda would be me second chose for reliability ,Subaru then Yamaha .. Generac is one to avoid with a plague..

Do not take my word google is your friend...

I did a lot of research and saw those reviews, but then saw a lot of good ones, my electrician recommended a Generac and he is not a dealer. I also read bad reviews about every other brand with Honda the exception, however I read some complaints there too, but you pay a LOT more for Honda...a LOT. In the end I got a generac 8k with auto transfer switch and love it so far. Runs once a week for 15 minutes without fail going on 3 years and came right on every time we lost power. It worked flawless for about 10 hrs last winter when we lost electricity in a very bad snowstorm and it was very cold and windy that day. While others were in the dark....I watched TV :-)

abrooks12376
09/20/2017, 03:40 PM
I have a champion 3500. Runs good, pretty quiet and affordable. Pretty sure you can get them on amazon too? Ocean state job lot is where I found mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk