PDA

View Full Version : 2 return pump system cor20 and m1

SnailCharmer
09/14/2017, 09:19 PM
Here's the vid, with the new sump. Tank is getting wet this weekend, check it out!

https://youtu.be/7mr6-biryTE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FullBoreReefer
09/14/2017, 09:30 PM
Here's the vid, with the new sump. Tank is getting wet this weekend, check it out!

https://youtu.be/7mr6-biryTE

A two return system is not a good idea in my opinion. Even if your sump can handle the water if one pump stops,can it handle when both stop? Even if it handles one pump stopping, will your skimmer handle it?

SnailCharmer
09/14/2017, 09:36 PM
A two return system is not a good idea in my opinion. Even if your sump can handle the water if one pump stops,can it handle when both stop? Even if it handles one pump stopping, will your skimmer handle it?

I think my skimmer can handle it., it's a trial. If it doesn't work, I'll pull it.

Wazzel
09/15/2017, 07:36 AM

One pump or 100 pumps does not matter as long as the are sized correctly. I run two pumps on my 120. No issue on sump holding the back flow or my overflow not handling he flow. They are half the size of the single pump I was looking at using.

SnailCharmer
09/15/2017, 07:37 AM
Yeah, and they're both D.C. So if need be I'll tune it down.

Wazzel
09/15/2017, 07:44 AM
Yeah, and they're both D.C. So if need be I'll tune it down.

Here is mine. Just make sure they share a common chamber in your sump. One will run slightly faster than the other no matter how much you tune them. You can not see the common chamber in mine, but the spaces are connected.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other-2/120-build/i-KxVr5RF/0/69b643a4/L/image-L.jpg

ca1ore
09/15/2017, 08:24 PM
What's the logic behind running two pumps? I assumed redundancy in the event of a pump failure. Why not just get a proven pump :lol: Otherwise I can see no good reason to do it. Am I missing something?

Wazzel
09/15/2017, 09:38 PM
What's the logic behind running two pumps? I assumed redundancy in the event of a pump failure. Why not just get a proven pump :lol: Otherwise I can see no good reason to do it. Am I missing something?

Redundancy and I can take one out at a time to clean. If I loose a pump my tank can still function.

FullBoreReefer
09/15/2017, 10:30 PM
I'd rather have a pump sitting on the shelf new and unused as a backup than running both in the event of a failure. Internal power heads will keep the water moving if a return pump fails. To each their own...

ca1ore
09/16/2017, 06:48 PM
That what I do, have a spare plumbed with couplings sitting on a shelf. Of course, my last main pump lasted 20 years so the spare got a tad dusty.

SnailCharmer
09/16/2017, 06:50 PM
I appreciate all the input! I really want to be able to switch back and forth as more of a testing environment, not necessarily redundancy.