PDA

View Full Version : Holes in tank

gman107
09/15/2017, 08:11 AM
I have a 90 gallon tank and I want to have more room in tank so I removed the corner overflows and will replace with eshopps eclipse m so I won't need the drilled holes on bottom. What is the best way to seal those holes on the bottom of tank ?? Silicone glass on inside or plug bulkheads ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oceanavekid
09/15/2017, 09:46 AM
See this thread

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2650910

ca1ore
09/15/2017, 10:49 AM
Glass patch in more reliable .... but also more permanent.

billdogg
09/17/2017, 08:17 AM
Glass patch in more reliable .... but also more permanent.

^^^This^^^

I would patch it with glass of equal thickness. Although you could plug the bulkhead easily enough, I would worry that it might get bumped. Easier (and much less visible) to just slap a patch on it.

Ron Reefman
09/19/2017, 04:48 AM
Short answer, IMHO either way works just fine.

I've patched holes both ways and I'd be more inclined to plug the bulkheads. The stand already has holes where the bulkheads fit thru, so no savings there. And when the tank is full of water, it's not like it's going to get bumped and have the tank move. However, in the future you might consider adding something to the tank and utilize one of the bulkheads. I used one to feed my skimmer by gravity directly from the tank and just added a vertical pipe inside the tank to protect from draining the tank. The pvc pipe disappeared into the background with coraline in no time.