PDA

View Full Version : Clear up time for infection

Vbwjjeep
09/15/2017, 09:12 AM
Let me start by saying I'm not sure it's an infection but I'm curious how long (ballpark) should it take for an infection to run its course and be in the clear. If I didn't see the brown blotch on him in 2 spots I'd think he was perfectly healthy. He's showing no signs of anything. Eats good swims around plays in the powerhead. A happy fish.... but that mark. I'll post a pic again but I've already had a discussion about it and the consensus was an infection. Melafix has been in the display tank for 2 days I hope it at least helps and nothing in the tank has responded negatively to it. I know in humans you can let it run its course in a couple days and it can either get better or get much worse and need antibiotics ( I've had mrsa after 2 days it was to the doctor). Is this the same in fish. If a couple days passes and it's not getting worse is the fish fighting it off or can they take much longer. Not familiar at all with the immune capabilities of fish.

JustinM
09/15/2017, 03:48 PM
Is he looking better or worse? There really is no set time frame on it.

If you can get him out, you could treat him in QT with kanaplex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vbwjjeep
09/15/2017, 08:47 PM
Is he looking better or worse? There really is no set time frame on it.

If you can get him out, you could treat him in QT with kanaplex.

He was worse this morning. He started to exibit behavior that I think caused those marks. He was slapping himself on the sand and rocks. He has been pulled out and setup in a hospital tank and is being treated with copper for parasites. The behavior of slapping the sand with his body and brushing on the rocks I think is what caused the marks. He will be in the copper treatment and hopefully improves. Got that tank setup fast haha. It passed the point of the melafix natural way.

Vbwjjeep
09/15/2017, 08:54 PM
He was worse this morning. He started to exibit behavior that I think caused those marks. He was slapping himself on the sand and rocks. He has been pulled out and setup in a hospital tank and is being treated with copper for parasites. The behavior of slapping the sand with his body and brushing on the rocks I think is what caused the marks. He will be in the copper treatment and hopefully improves. Got that tank setup fast haha. It passed the point of the melafix natural way.

And to clarify I'm using cupramine for parasites not for bacterial. It think the marks are secondary to the parasite. From what I saw his slapping and such was an indicator of a parasite. I will monitor and switch treatments if necessary

JustinM
09/15/2017, 09:43 PM
That is definitely possible. A lot of fish get secondary infections from ich or velvet. Just keep an eye on it, if it worsens, you could add kanaplex to the copper.

Vbwjjeep
09/15/2017, 10:07 PM
That is definitely possible. A lot of fish get secondary infections from ich or velvet. Just keep an eye on it, if it worsens, you could add kanaplex to the copper.

Yes that is the plan. Keep an eye on him through Sunday/Monday. If no improvement he will be getting a water change to dull the copper treatment down from .5 to about .25 then antibiotics. Still doing some more research on this but that's the tentative plan. Oh and put my display tank back together. My rock is well let's say not together anymore haha.

Ngoodermuth
09/16/2017, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't lower the copper, you can add kanaplex or furan-2 and stay at .5. Otherwise, you will just be masking symptoms.

I would however, suggest a 5-minute freshwater dip to check for flukes.

Vbwjjeep
09/17/2017, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't lower the copper, you can add kanaplex or furan-2 and stay at .5. Otherwise, you will just be masking symptoms.

I would however, suggest a 5-minute freshwater dip to check for flukes.

Will copper not treat do flukes? And he is still doing well day 2 in the hospital tank. He will be getting dosed up to .5. This being my first time doing copper I may dose it over 3 intervals up to .5 just because I don't want to mess up. Is this not advised to do for any reason? I know it's dose wait 2 days then dose. I have an API copper test kit I'll be checking. I know it's not the best but it should get the job done. I'm doing to test it probably 5 times to make sure I don't get any false readings

JustinM
09/17/2017, 08:26 AM
What kind of copper are you going to use?

Ngoodermuth
09/17/2017, 08:41 AM
No, copper doesn't treat flukes. However, I don't usually advise using praziquantel (Prazipro or general cure) with copper and other meds unless necessary and without extreme caution as it can rapidly deplete oxygen when mixed with other meds. A freshwater dip will confirm if they are there and dislodge most of them if they are. But, follow-up treatment would still be needed.

If you are using cupramine (ionic copper) the API test kit won't work, that's for chelated copper (like CopperSafe) and measures in a higher range.

Vbwjjeep
09/17/2017, 01:40 PM
No, copper doesn't treat flukes. However, I don't usually advise using praziquantel (Prazipro or general cure) with copper and other meds unless necessary and without extreme caution as it can rapidly deplete oxygen when mixed with other meds. A freshwater dip will confirm if they are there and dislodge most of them if they are. But, follow-up treatment would still be needed.

If you are using cupramine (ionic copper) the API test kit won't work, that's for chelated copper (like CopperSafe) and measures in a higher range.

I am using cupramine. But it's no big deal to pick up another copper test kit

JustinM
09/17/2017, 03:00 PM
Use seachem. I believe salifert picks up ionic copper as well.