PDA

View Full Version : Adding a new tang to my 300 gal

afm32607
09/15/2017, 02:21 PM
So I have a 72x30x32w tank currently for fish only that I just finished setting up and transitioned most of my old tank too. I have a large (5") black tang left in QT from the old tank. I want to get a second tang, probably a blue surgeon fish. What is the best way to go about introducing them?

1) Move the black tang to the disp then QT the blue? I can't really rearrange the rocks but I would do this at lights out after a heavy feeding; or

2) Leave the black tang in the QT buy the blue and acclimate him in a separate tank and toss both in the 300 gal at the same time? - I have a tank with no fish that I plan to put 'nems in once I get all the old fish into the new tank but I need to keep it copper free, so use as a QT is limited to observation only; or

3) Do #1 but add in a second tang to force the black one to split its aggression between the two? (was thinking a Kole tang).

Also as a note, the black tang has unfortunately been in the 30 gal QT for like four months, I had trouble getting the overflows from the manufacturer so the tank sat empty for much longer than it should have. So I am really interested in moving him to his new home.

ca1ore
09/15/2017, 02:42 PM
What do you mean by blue tang (tang = surgeon): Atlantic blue (acanthurus) or regal/hippo (hepatus)? Neither are zebrasomas like the black, though the hippo will likely get less initial grief. I'd introduce them at the same time.

scuzy
09/15/2017, 08:56 PM
How I introduce my gem tang to my two yellows, black tang, Achilles and Chevron was place a bunch of mirrors around tank. Then introduce him and let the big boys attack the mirrors. Now they are all buddies. Took about 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

afm32607
09/18/2017, 01:17 PM
I was referring to hippo tang, couldn't think of the name haha. Unfortunately, the QT tank sprung a leak this weekend and the black tang had no choice but to be moved. So now I have to introduce the blue to an established tang.

The mirror tactic sounds interesting but exceptionally stressful.

Any other thoughts? Should I try and capture the black out of the display when it come time to add the hippo?

this is me
09/18/2017, 01:30 PM
I got one of these and I've never loss a fish due to aggression since.
It actually helps me facilitate on getting the 3 regal angelfish to eat and get used to the future tank mates.
https://www.seasideaquatics.com/catalog/fish-traps-acclimation-boxes/1827-collapsible-rf-400c-acclimation-box.html

afm32607
09/18/2017, 03:09 PM
I have one of those I used to try and get my clowns to host an anemone. (FWIW it worked. The Occ. went into the BTA while in the acclimation container but once I took everything out and put them back in the tank they just swim around it not in it.)

I was thinking I would try putting the blue tang in it for a week after QT time. Should I still try the mirror trick at the same time?

this is me
09/18/2017, 07:12 PM
Honestly, in your situation, I wouldn't even bother with the acclimation box. I would just put the fish in their and see how it goes. With just two tanks in a large tank, it should be okay. I've got my purple tang to live in a tank with 5 existing yellow, a sailfin, a powder blue and a powder brown. The yellow and the purple were the only two that gave it trouble. But with plenty of room to swim and hide, the purple eventually get along with the tang pack. I honk as long as you get a healthy fish that's ready to eat and you feed them enough, it should be okay.