PDA

View Full Version : RODI with Bad Well Water Help

reilly2524
09/15/2017, 02:33 PM
Ok so we have terrible well water, appx 1800 tds. yeah I know it's rough. I need to get an rodi system for my tank. we do have a water softener (I don't know if the rodi could be hooked up to that or not) we currently have a simple ro unit for drinking water, it's a one filter type of thing. I talk with our water guy and he says it isn't possible to get 0 tds (with spending $200-$300). Could I get some input from you guys? I just have to get this figured out then I can start filling my tank.

P.S. tank is a 40 breeder w/29ish gallon sump

thanks, Reilly

locktite
09/15/2017, 03:47 PM
I have well water that is also of terrible quality, extremely hard with iron and sulfur. The water is processed through a chlorinator and softening system. I feed the softened water through a 3-stage RO filter which delivers water that is 19-20 TDS. I collect the RO water in a rubbermaid tub and use an air pump/stone to aerate the water before feeding it through a DI filter due to the water having high CO2. Processing the water this way greatly improves the longevity of the DI cartridge and delivers water with 0 TDS.

reilly2524
09/15/2017, 03:54 PM
I have well water that is also of terrible quality, extremely hard with iron and sulfur. The water is processed through a chlorinator and softening system. I feed the softened water through a 3-stage RO filter which delivers water that is 19-20 TDS. I collect the RO water in a rubbermaid tub and use an air pump/stone to aerate the water before feeding it through a DI filter due to the water having high CO2. Processing the water this way greatly improves the longevity of the DI cartridge and delivers water with 0 TDS.

does the softener not remove the co2? also how do you get enough pressure to run the di filter? that seems complicated

locktite
09/15/2017, 04:00 PM
You are right, it's a little complicated at least it was when I first thought about and planned for the system. As far as water pressure is concerned I had to install a booster pump. My water system delivers a pressure between 40-60 psi and with the booster pump I get a steady 80 psi which processes the water much faster with less water going out the waste water discharge.

locktite
09/15/2017, 04:07 PM
I neglected to answer your question re CO2. The water softener has no affect on the CO2 level of the well water. Prior to the point that I started processing the RO water separately from the DI cartridge I would burn through the DI resin in about 2-3weeks. Now I replace the resin approximately every 3 months. I have a 45 gal aquarium.

reilly2524
09/15/2017, 04:19 PM
You are right, it's a little complicated at least it was when I first thought about and planned for the system. As far as water pressure is concerned I had to install a booster pump. My water system delivers a pressure between 40-60 psi and with the booster pump I get a steady 80 psi which processes the water much faster with less water going out the waste water discharge.

and tht booster pump is from the rubbermaid to the di filter? also how big is the rubbermaid? and how fast do you burn through ro filters?

locktite
09/15/2017, 04:42 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood your question re how the water goes from the rubbermaid tub through the DI filter. I use a Stenner peristaltic pump to pump the RO water through the DI cartridge into a separate Rubbermaid tub. I had 2 Stenner pumps originally because the well water chlorination system uses one of them to inject chlorine into the well water and I had a second pump as a backup. At least it was a backup until I decided to use it for the DI system! I'm sure there are cheaper pumps that could do the job as well. So to summarize, the softened well water is fed through the RO filter using a booster pump and the water goes into a 20 gal Rubbermaid tub. An air pump aerates the RO water for 24 hrs to eliminate CO2. The RO water is pumped(Stenner) through the DI cartridge and is collected in a second 20 gal Rubbermaid tub. There are drain valves on the bottom of both tubs so that I can drain out RO water for our humidifiers in the winter months and DI water for aquarium water changes as needed. This system has been in operation for 1 1/2 years and still has the original cartridges and RO membrane.

reilly2524
09/15/2017, 04:58 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood your question re how the water goes from the rubbermaid tub through the DI filter. I use a Stenner peristaltic pump to pump the RO water through the DI cartridge into a separate Rubbermaid tub. I had 2 Stenner pumps originally because the well water chlorination system uses one of them to inject chlorine into the well water and I had a second pump as a backup. At least it was a backup until I decided to use it for the DI system! I'm sure there are cheaper pumps that could do the job as well. So to summarize, the softened well water is fed through the RO filter using a booster pump and the water goes into a 20 gal Rubbermaid tub. An air pump aerates the RO water for 24 hrs to eliminate CO2. The RO water is pumped(Stenner) through the DI cartridge and is collected in a second 20 gal Rubbermaid tub. There are drain valves on the bottom of both tubs so that I can drain out RO water for our humidifiers in the winter months and DI water for aquarium water changes as needed. This system has been in operation for 1 1/2 years and still has the original cartridges and RO membrane.

wow you havent changed the cartridges or membranes? whats the tds of your well water? i would have thought with really bad well water the water would chew through cartridges and membranes.

locktite
09/15/2017, 05:13 PM
Water from softener is about 1100 tds.

reilly2524
09/15/2017, 05:28 PM
and softeners dont remove tds right? so even with 1100 tds your canisters and your membrane haven't been clogged up?

locktite
09/15/2017, 05:31 PM
Correct!

reilly2524
09/15/2017, 05:42 PM
do you use a carbon block or is it not needed as this is well water?

locktite
09/15/2017, 05:44 PM
Water feeds through sediment cartridge then through carbon block before going to the membrane.

reilly2524
09/15/2017, 05:47 PM
5 micron sediment filter and 5 micon carbon block?

locktite
09/15/2017, 05:53 PM
1 micron sediment filter, not sure about carbon block. The unit was purchased from Marine Depot.
4-Stage KleanWater Economy RO/DI

reilly2524
09/16/2017, 05:07 PM
locktite question for you how to you have the pump setup that moves the water from the rubbermaid to the di canister? i ask because i was looking at the booster pumps on brs but they require 20psi to operate. can i use a regular inwater pump? like a eheim?

locktite
09/17/2017, 07:33 AM
I use a Stenner 85 mhp series pump to feed the RO water from it's Rubbermaid tub through the DI canister and into a separate Rubbermaid tub. My pump selection is based only on the fact that I already had the pump. I am sure there are plenty of other pumps that can do the same job but I have no experience with that. In my 4-stage RO filter system I disconnected the DI cartridge from the system so that the water flow through the system bypasses the DI cartridge and goes straight to the RO collection tub. The Stenner pump draws water from that tub using 1/4" water tubing and pumps it through the DI cartridge. The outlet of that cartridge goes through another piece of 1/4" tubing and into the DI water tub. I hope that I have answered your question.

slief
09/17/2017, 07:28 PM
I have to believe the high TDS is the result of minerals in the well water. For Co2, you need a cistern that the well water can settle in. If you add an air source to the cistern such as a good airpump and stone, that will eliminate the Co2 issues relatively quickly. Out of the cistern, I would pump the water though some very fine micron cartridges. Spectra pure makes some .05 micron cartridges that are very effective. If it were me, I would setup a few stages ahead of the RODI unit starting with 5 micron and working my way down to .05. Your water softener could go between the cistern and the first stage of micron cartridges. After the .05 is where carbon would go. You are going to want high pressure (80 PSI) going into the RODI for best rejection and cartridge longevity. In all honesty, I would suggest contacting Spectrapure to get their take on this also.