PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Established tank cycling again?

sdurhman
09/16/2017, 12:30 PM
I've had my mixed reef tank with fish and inverts up and running for a year. Starting a few weeks ago noticed some SPS browning and LPS shriveling and melting as well as what looks like green/brown algae on the tank walls and sand bed. I tested everything myself and had my coral guy test as well, only significant finding was nitrates around 25ppm. I did about an 80% water change. And everything is within normal limits bilateral nothing looked better, in fact it looked worse! These are my readings:
Nitrate 8ppm which is where I normally keep it
Calcium 400
Alk 8
Mag 1500
Phosphates trace

Now I've lost a number of corals and got curious. Due to the algae issue just on the sand and glass I tested ammonia and nitrite. I hadn't before because I didn't think about my tank cycling again but low and behold, my ammonia level is at 1ppm! Nitrite is 0.

So my question is, is my tank in fact cycling again, has anyone had this happen and what do I do!? I don't want to lose the poor lives of all my coral and fish and the thousands of dollars in livestock I have!

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Goss
09/16/2017, 12:44 PM
Something died and it's decaying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdurhman
09/16/2017, 12:57 PM
All of my fish are accounted for. I it'd have 1 turbo snail die yesterday but the problem was going on before that... should I just do a huge water change and see if it helps? If it doesn't help, then what?

Goss
09/16/2017, 01:26 PM
Something else is going on that you can't see. What do you feed your fish and animals?

sdurhman
09/16/2017, 01:40 PM
1 cube mysis shrimp and a 1x1 inch square of fish frenzy daily. Which I have forever, I target feed my coral reef chili 1-2x weekly and 1-2x weekly I'll feed a small strip of nori. I've decreased all of this wits this problem starting in an effort not to make the problem worse, but have only seen decline... the possibility of a snail dying without me knowing is completely possible, since I can't keep track of every little snail but I agree, I feel like something else is going on... I'm making a new batch of water to do a massive water change again which I obviously need to do to get the ammonia down but I'd like to fix the root of the problem insteady of just putting a bandaid on it.

Goss
09/16/2017, 03:13 PM
Good Luck.

bertoni
09/16/2017, 04:30 PM
I'd stop all feeding, and dose a product like Prime or Amquel right away. Something organic in the tank is decaying, if the ammonia kit is correct. I'd get a second opinion if that were easy, but I'd treat for ammonia in the meantime. More water changes would be a good idea, too, as long as the ammonia is high.

Either something died or something got dumped into the tank. It could be a lot of things. I don't think one snail would do much, depending on the size of the tank and snail, though.