PDA

View Full Version : phosphates

nycjwi
09/16/2017, 01:34 PM
I have a red sea Max nano which is 20g tank with protein skimmer, live rock, live sand, 2 clown fish, cleanup crew, anemone and want to add some soft corals but my phosphates range between .25 - .1. I only feed fish very little every other day and do weekly water changes of 15% or more. I'm already using chemipure & Purigen. This tank has no sump so can't setup reactor or grow any algae. Can anyone recommend anything else i could be adding to tank/water to help lower phosphates?
thx

SAT
09/16/2017, 08:29 PM
As long as you don't feed them, adding some soft corals won't hurt and may actually help reduce the phosphates as they grow.

Timfish
09/17/2017, 06:37 AM
Your PO4 is fine. Like SAT said adding corals will help but your challenge will be keeping an anemone seperate from your corals in such a small tank. FYI PO4 on reefs average .13 mg/l and upwelling can increas that to 2 mg/l. Look at my thread here (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2601390&highlight=skimmerless)

mcgyvr
09/17/2017, 07:51 AM
soft coral tanks are easy..

they won't care one bit about that phosphate.. so long as you don't have any bad algae issues from it then don't worry about it..

Small Heavens
09/18/2017, 10:43 AM
Carbon dosing can get rid of the last hint of phosphates and nitrates, usually mostly used when the tank contains sensitive softies, but if you want the last hint of it cleared, carbon dosing is what you would need to add. I also got a nano, so I bought the biggest red sea carbon product I could find and I can now dose my tank for the next three years with carbon, and never have to think about it again. I kinda like the solution. I actually ignored my LFS the first time he advised me to try it, and I now wish I had tried it sooner��