PDA

View Full Version : nano tank suggestions

keithw283
09/16/2017, 03:17 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a nano tank for me to turn into a nano reef. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good one? I would prefer it to be taller than long. 30 gallons max

Thanks

Scurvy Dawg
09/16/2017, 04:36 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a nano tank for me to turn into a nano reef. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good one? I would prefer it to be taller than long. 30 gallons max

Thanks

What's your budget?
Red Sea Reefer Nano

keithw283
09/16/2017, 05:19 PM
What's your budget?
Red Sea Reefer Nano

I'm not 100% sure on that. Maybe 300-500 dollars for the tank/filtration. That wouldn't be including lights/stocking

EzReefs
09/16/2017, 05:34 PM
Biocube?

keithw283
09/16/2017, 05:52 PM
Biocube?

That was one I was looking at. I think if i got that id be cool with the 14. I've read mixed reviews from people on it. It seems like you either love it or hate it from what I've read

devildog999
09/16/2017, 07:03 PM
Honestly, if you're gonna go with a nano sized tank, I'd try to figure a setup that also allows you to plumb in a sump. I started with the 24g nano cube and I hate that I ever used that thing. Too small a system to easily keep good parameters because the smallest thing changes everything drastically. Furthermore, it limits you so much to what you can do with the system because the whole all in one makes things hard. If I could do it over, I would still start with the same size but go with an overflow system that goes to a sump so I can increase the volume of the system but have same DT size and be able to play with filtration and refugium abilities.

keithw283
09/16/2017, 07:45 PM
Honestly, if you're gonna go with a nano sized tank, I'd try to figure a setup that also allows you to plumb in a sump. I started with the 24g nano cube and I hate that I ever used that thing. Too small a system to easily keep good parameters because the smallest thing changes everything drastically. Furthermore, it limits you so much to what you can do with the system because the whole all in one makes things hard. If I could do it over, I would still start with the same size but go with an overflow system that goes to a sump so I can increase the volume of the system but have same DT size and be able to play with filtration and refugium abilities.

Do any models come to mind for you? I don't want to go red sea because they are ridiculously expensive, but I would like a sump so my display isn't only like 9 gallons. I should have probably stated that I don't want an all in one

Jon0807
09/16/2017, 07:55 PM
If you go with the biocube and are limited to the 14, then go with the 16. It's an upgrade to the 14 and the LED's are good enough to support soft and some LPS corals.

The JBJ's are also another option.

devildog999
09/17/2017, 01:55 AM
How comfortable are you with DIY stuff? Check out TheKingofDYI on youtube for starters. He can show you real good how to do some stuff. Also check out the DIY forum. You will pay a lot less in the long run this way as well. Not really sure what good systems there already are at that size. If you are willing to go with a 50g system though, SC Aquariums has a 50g tank that comes with stand, protein skimmer, sump, some filter media, and pump for 700 bucks. Not a bad way to go.

Do any models come to mind for you? I don't want to go red sea because they are ridiculously expensive, but I would like a sump so my display isn't only like 9 gallons. I should have probably stated that I don't want an all in one

top shelf
09/17/2017, 07:48 AM
I absolutely love my 45g from SCA, believe I got it for 650 shipped to my door. If your looking for a Max of 30g you could look into a 29g from Petco. It would give you more heigh that your looking for plus you'd be able to still add a sump. Just keep in mind lighting will be more of a challenge on a deeper tank.