PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Identify Fin Rot

rock_on
09/16/2017, 03:46 PM
I have a Scribbled Rabbitfish which I believe is starting to get fin rot. I would love to have other opinions and any treatment recommendations.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170916/4c41889c7f92e5cc734e0c530f129c01.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170916/be3bc2441850501392eaa7e8bbe720e0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170916/9a2334c5550cf61946e3508a752903ff.jpg

JustinM
09/16/2017, 06:05 PM
Yes it is fin rot. I would pull it out of the DT and put it in a QT and treat with the trifecta(kanaplex, furan 2, & metroplex) Treat for the full 10 days no matter what. It looks pretty bad so it wouldn't hurt to give it an acriflavine bath(it's an antiseptic).

rock_on
09/16/2017, 09:48 PM
Thank you for your help.

SAT
09/17/2017, 04:25 PM
Let me give you a second opinion. I agree with theshocker that you have a case of fin rot and that antibiotics and/or disinfectants will probably clear it up. However, it looks like the sort of infection associated with a combination of trauma and poor water conditions which will often clear up on its own if pristine conditions can be provided.

From the photos, you appear to have a new tank and I suspect that may be a factor. Are you testing for ammonia? Any measurable amount (with hobby test kit) could explain this problem. High levels of organics and bacteria in the water, which is common in a new tank, can also be an explanation.

After handling and keeping the fish in a typical hospital tank for 10 days, the fish may actually be weaker after treatment than before. That would leave the fish open to reinfection. Be very careful with your handling -- it's best not to use a net -- and make sure the water in the hospital tank stays very clean. One approach is to change 50% of the water daily, replacing the lost antibiotic with each change.

Note that rabbitfish need a diet heavy in vegetable content, preferably spread out over several feedings a day.

In any case, I hope your rabbitfish pulls through.

rock_on
09/17/2017, 11:30 PM
Let me give you a second opinion. I agree with theshocker that you have a case of fin rot and that antibiotics and/or disinfectants will probably clear it up. However, it looks like the sort of infection associated with a combination of trauma and poor water conditions which will often clear up on its own if pristine conditions can be provided.

From the photos, you appear to have a new tank and I suspect that may be a factor. Are you testing for ammonia? Any measurable amount (with hobby test kit) could explain this problem. High levels of organics and bacteria in the water, which is common in a new tank, can also be an explanation.

After handling and keeping the fish in a typical hospital tank for 10 days, the fish may actually be weaker after treatment than before. That would leave the fish open to reinfection. Be very careful with your handling -- it's best not to use a net -- and make sure the water in the hospital tank stays very clean. One approach is to change 50% of the water daily, replacing the lost antibiotic with each change.

Note that rabbitfish need a diet heavy in vegetable content, preferably spread out over several feedings a day.

In any case, I hope your rabbitfish pulls through.

Thank you for your response.

I'm working on trying to catch him with the lights off, but he likes to sleep in the rocks. For the meantime, I've been using adding Kanaplex with Focus to his food. Also, I will start putting some Nori in the tank more often.

My tank is over 3 years old with regular 10% water changes, but he is a new fish that was just moved from 7 weeks in a quarantine, so trauma probably is what triggered it.

Random question: do you think stirring up detritus can cause it?

SAT
09/18/2017, 07:29 AM
>> Random question: do you think stirring up detritus can cause it?

How much detritus are you talking about? If you have large deposits of detritus, I suggest siphoning them out. Disturbing a thick deposit could affect water quality.

I find that heavy detritus production is a symptom of dirty water. What do your nitrate and phosphate levels look like?

SAT
09/18/2017, 10:02 AM
One other thought... I only see damage on the tail. That might be a limitation of the photos, but it makes me wonder if something is nipping at the rabbitfish's tail.

Also, the first photo gives the impression (again, possibly wrong) that the upper body is pinched, a sign of starvation. Frequent small feedings are best for that.

rock_on
09/18/2017, 03:11 PM
>> Random question: do you think stirring up detritus can cause it?

How much detritus are you talking about? If you have large deposits of detritus, I suggest siphoning them out. Disturbing a thick deposit could affect water quality.

I find that heavy detritus production is a symptom of dirty water. What do your nitrate and phosphate levels look like?I push detritus out of my live rock with a turkey baster when I do my weekly water changes. I don't think it's enough to cause issues but I was curious.

My Phosphate sits at .8 ppm and my Nitrates between 2-4 ppm with Redsea test kit.

I thought the same thing with his weight as well. I'm going to feed him a bit more with more veggie. I haven't seen any fish nipping at him, but I do have a Damsel.

Thank you for your input, it helps out a ton.

JustinM
09/18/2017, 06:20 PM
Your water quality does not seem to be the issue here. Your phosphates are somewhat high but that is not causing this. My initial thought was it looked like it was bitten off as well. Damsels can be bullies.

SAT has some good advice with the feedings but I would still pull him and treat it.

rock_on
09/19/2017, 12:17 AM
Your water quality does not seem to be the issue here. Your phosphates are somewhat high but that is not causing this. My initial thought was it looked like it was bitten off as well. Damsels can be bullies.

SAT has some good advice with the feedings but I would still pull him and treat it.Thank you for your input.