PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser still cloudy???

bereleah
09/16/2017, 08:40 PM
I don't know how I messed up something this simple, I mixed 7 tsp of kalk in a small container of RO water, I right away poured it into my reservoir it's now a day later and the water is still cloudy and I have a layer on the surface. Any advice?

bertoni
09/16/2017, 09:48 PM
Sometimes, Kalkwasser seems to be a bit cloudy. We're not sure why, but no one has had any problems with it so far. The film on the surface probably is calcium carbonate that has been formed by a reaction between Kalk and carbon dioxide. That's quite common, and normal. This article has more:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

bereleah
09/16/2017, 10:48 PM
Sometimes, Kalkwasser seems to be a bit cloudy. We're not sure why, but no one has had any problems with it so far. The film on the surface probably is calcium carbonate that has been formed by a reaction between Kalk and carbon dioxide. That's quite common, and normal. This article has more:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

Thanks, so it has nothing to do with because I mixed it in a smaller container before adding it to the reservoir? Maybe it's couldn't desolve good enough.

orcafood
09/17/2017, 07:03 AM
Are you sure it is still cloudy and not precipitate on the glass and water surfaces?

bereleah
09/17/2017, 08:31 AM
Are you sure it is still cloudy and not precipitate on the glass and water surfaces?

Yes.

sh4rkbyt3
09/17/2017, 10:24 AM
You poured it right away into your reservoir? You're suppose to let it sit and let the undissolved kalk sit on the bottom of the container and then use the clear liquid not the whole thing.

sh4rkbyt3
09/17/2017, 10:26 AM
Also remove the top layer crust as best as possible. The only thing going into the tank should be clear liquid. I let mine sit overnight (at least) and then do a slow drip into the tank over time. The bottom slurry shouldn't be poured into your tank, that's likely whats causing the cloudiness. You just mixed and dumped.

bereleah
09/17/2017, 11:09 AM
Also remove the top layer crust as best as possible. The only thing going into the tank should be clear liquid. I let mine sit overnight (at least) and then do a slow drip into the tank over time. The bottom slurry shouldn't be poured into your tank, that's likely whats causing the cloudiness. You just mixed and dumped.

Yes I know that. But I thought it will settle out in the reservoir and become clear.

orcafood
09/17/2017, 02:10 PM
It is supposed to become clear, if it is still cloudy I would look at the ro/di water source perhaps?

on the spot
09/17/2017, 02:23 PM
...it's now a day later and the water is still cloudy and I have a layer on the surface. Any advice?

close the door to where the reservoir is located.

go for a walk. it's beautiful out here.

When you need to top off the reservoir again, clean it out and start fresh. maybe mix it a little leaner next time.

that film happens in an open container. best solution for that is a kalk reactor. cheap to make with some pvc and a small pump.

bertoni
09/17/2017, 11:26 PM
Mixing it in the reservoir is fine. That's what I did. As long as the Kalk gets some time to settle and the outtake is above the sludge, the Kalkwasser will be fine.

bereleah
09/18/2017, 06:41 PM
Mixing it in the reservoir is fine. That's what I did. As long as the Kalk gets some time to settle and the outtake is above the sludge, the Kalkwasser will be fine.

How long??

bertoni
09/18/2017, 08:25 PM
A few hours has been fine, IME. I was mixing 5g at a time in the standard jugs from the LFS.