PDA

View Full Version : Changing the tank

Dion0428
09/16/2017, 11:40 PM
Hello guys.

My name is Dion and I want to change my old tank with the new one, but the sump still the same. Is it going to cycling again? Oh and for the sand and live rock, I'm going to use the old one from the old tank. Do I have to wait for the new tank stabilized? Or I can move all the fish and corals when the tank is set up? Thank you.

mcgyvr
09/17/2017, 07:21 AM
If you use the old live rock and keep it wet/submerged the whole time during the transition it should carry over any needed bacteria and you should have little to no cycle..
I would suggest starting with rinsed new dry sand and just use your existing live rock (again.. kept wet the whole time)

I just setup my new tank next to the old one.. filled it with sand and water and go the pumps running.. Then moved all rock/fish/corals,etc.. into it.. I did not have a cycle at all..

DaReefTank
09/17/2017, 08:54 AM
+1 on replacing the sand bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Eel
09/17/2017, 12:19 PM
Consider even using some of the same water which has bacteria, copeopods, and trace elements in it.

mcgyvr
09/17/2017, 02:23 PM
Consider even using some of the same water which has bacteria, copeopods, and trace elements in it.

Very little bacteria is free floating in the water column..
And new salt mix will have all the trace elements one needs..
And there will be far more pods carried over via the rocks too..

new saltwater is always better than old water.. old water goes down the drain..

Dion0428
09/17/2017, 07:23 PM
Thanks all. Okay so I'm going to think about the new tank again later. And for the fish and corals?? Is it dangerous for them?? or should I wait first?

mcgyvr
09/18/2017, 05:42 AM
Thanks all. Okay so I'm going to think about the new tank again later. And for the fish and corals?? Is it dangerous for them?? or should I wait first?

Is what dangerous for them?
waiting? huh