PDA

View Full Version : Alternative for New Era Marine grazer disks?

Meshmez
09/17/2017, 12:25 PM
As far as I can tell New Era got acquired, changed names and is no longer available in the US. Does anyone either have info on where to get marine grazer disks or a similar product?

SAT
09/17/2017, 02:05 PM
You're referring to those great "mini-grazer" donuts, right? I used them as a staple until they disappeared off the market last year. They are apparently available in other countries, but not in the US.

I am now using a combination of LRS Herbivore Frenzy and defrosted Formula 2 cubes. They aren't as convenient, but they get the job done.

Meshmez
09/17/2017, 03:37 PM
Yep, those are the ones. It's a shame they're gone, they were super convenient and all my fish seemed to like them. Even TLF built a post for them into their mag feeding systems.

ca1ore
09/19/2017, 02:37 PM
I bought a few tubs before they disappeared ..... But once they are gone ..... Nori

reefgeezer
09/19/2017, 03:29 PM
I've been looking for something for my Kole Tang. He won't eat Nori, I never see eat anything else. He just picks at the rock constantly. There isn't much algae on the rocks but he stays fat & happy. I'd love to find something he'll graze on.

homer1475
09/20/2017, 04:23 AM
I still buy them off amazon. A couple off places online still have them.

saf1
09/20/2017, 08:11 AM
Amazon. I don't use them but quick search yielded a seller. Doesn't qualify for prime but hey - win some, lose some I guess.

Meshmez
11/11/2017, 12:14 PM
Still looking for an alternative. The ones on Amazon seem odd.. Not sure I trust them.

homer1475
11/11/2017, 01:40 PM
I buy them on amazon all the time. Nothing odd about them. Exact same disks I used to buy from my LFS.

Since your in the states, unless you find some LFS that might have some old stock, amazon is the only place your going to buy them from.

saf1
11/12/2017, 07:37 AM
Dumb question buy why are they no longer available in the states? What Nanny law are they breaking?

Meshmez
12/28/2017, 03:19 PM
The guy at the LFS told me it had something to do with not worth selling here because of exchange rates? (its a UK company I believe) but I don't know if that is true.

As for my original question, I have an update:

I just started using Sera Marin o-nip tabs (marine staple tabs) and so far I'm very happy. They stick to the glass on their own, you just put it in there and press it to the glass for a second. a few of my fish came up to it and nibbled straight from the tab (like with the grazer disks) but the tab slowly dissolves (took 45min - hour to disappear) and the fish eat it out of the water column.

It remains to be seen if this ends up fouling up the water really quickly or not. I definitely saw little particles floating around from it, but the water wasn't ever "cloudy" or anything. I actually like that it makes the fish more active and swimming around, rather than fighting for a spot at the disk. also it seemed that at least my LPS were pulling some of it in too.

I like that it disappears, leaving nothing on the glass. no suction cup to remove or anything. Im a little worried about the hour of food floating around, but then again, after about that time with the disks my fish would normally pull it off the suction cup and it would be a big chunk in the sand anyway.. They aren't that big (about the thickness of 3 dimes stacked together, and about 2/3 the diameter) so its probably not a big deal.

I ordered some of their spirulina grazers too, so im looking forward to giving those a a shot.

nikon187
12/28/2017, 06:52 PM
the company that picked them up is vitalis and the only thing they changed was the name. We still get them on a reguar basis and will continue in the future. Im in alberta canada though but we ship :)

rffanat1c
12/28/2017, 08:56 PM
https://www.ageofaquariums.biz/product/era-mini-marine-grazer/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meshmez
12/29/2017, 12:02 AM
hmm interesting, might have to check that out then!

scooter31707
12/29/2017, 09:45 AM
I get mines from here. Little expensive, but well worth the money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Navy-Grazer-3-9oz-Vitalis-Formerly-New-Era-Food-for-meerwasserfische-13-63/282769926009?hash=item41d666a779:g:oUkAAOSwax5YrI6C