PDA

View Full Version : Nem frag tank help

Linkfalcon
09/17/2017, 01:26 PM
Display tank with nems but wanna start fragging them what's the best way to do it

So a little background on the setup

105 gal display with live rock and sand
35 gal sump
Avast skimmer filter socks and fuge area

So I bought a bunch of nems in a good deal during a break down

Was wondering what the best and safest way to do this

I'd like to start fragging them

Should I add a frag tank on to mine to keep them in after fragging and running carbon for two or three weeks

Or

Should I had setup a separate tank to house them in after fragging running carbon for 2 to 3 weeks

How this all makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billdogg
09/17/2017, 04:57 PM
Although anemones will reproduce by cloning (especially bubble tips), I can't say that I've heard of anyone "fragging" them.

kuzko
09/17/2017, 05:26 PM
First off, what kind of nems? You can "frag" BTA's but I wouldn't suggest it unless you consider yourself an expert with this stuff. Stick to the old natural proven method of feeding like crazy and letting them split. They'll do it rather fast.

However, if you really want to, in about 6 months once you know you can keep them alive in the first place.... Take a BTA out of the tank and cut it in half starting from the mouth (two cuts - fresh razor). Let them slime for a little bit and then rinse them off in a bucket of tank water and then move them to a new bucket of tank water. Keep doing this and rinsing it a few times and let it slime a bit each time, then put it in a standalone system - I would not suggest you put it back in the DT yet. You'll need to build a whole new system and do water changes on it every other day for about a week or two while the nems heal. Put some clowns in there if you can. Once you get the hang of it they can heal overnight. I've never heard of anybody doing this with anything but BTA's and again, unless you consider yourself an expert I wouldn't even bother.

Ron Reefman
09/18/2017, 05:42 AM
Some popular nems like the ultra colorful rock flower nems reproduce sexually and can not be divided.

Linkfalcon
09/21/2017, 07:23 AM
They are RBT

just trying to keep the display tank safe from all the slim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk