PDA

View Full Version : Deep Sand Bed Question

flsalty
09/17/2017, 02:37 PM
I like to research things to the nth degree. I have been reading about DSB because I'm planning a tank that will need one for a couple anemones. The problem is the tank will be running for about a year before adding anemones. Most of what I've read indicates that the DSB shouldn't be disturbed once established. I've seen youtube videos of black sand after just fishing out a worm from the bed. I imagine digging a hole in a 4" bed for a tube anemone or an LTA would not be good. Or maybe at least not good for the nem sitting in it.

So...what to do? Can I start with 2 inches then add another 2 later? Normally I keep about an inch. Never had a DSB before.

ericarenee
09/17/2017, 02:51 PM
I have DSB for reducing nutrients.. Mine is actually 6 of them each are 1.5 gallon buckets that are 10 inches tall. They are in my sump. I have them numbered and Every 6 months i Pull one of them , DUMP IT and Fill with new sand.. so this gives me the oldest one 3 years old . This will insure i do not end up killing my tank from issues that can occur with very old deep sand beds. I had the black death issues with a old tank that made me decide to do it this way in buckets..

My Experience with DSB.. Others might be different.. I say DO NOT DO it in your display tank...

flsalty
09/17/2017, 03:16 PM
Oh I fully admit I'm a little leery of having one. But I'm going to need one, unless I can get away with maybe a sloping one that's just deep in a couple spots.

mikem101
09/17/2017, 03:25 PM
Oh I fully admit I'm a little leery of having one. But I'm going to need one, unless I can get away with maybe a sloping one that's just deep in a couple spots.

why do you need one? I would absolutely avoid it, some people have them and love them. Most will tell you its a BAD idea!

flsalty
09/17/2017, 05:39 PM
why do you need one? I would absolutely avoid it, some people have them and love them. Most will tell you its a BAD idea!

Two of the animals I want to keep need one.

mcgyvr
09/17/2017, 05:50 PM
Don't be scared about a burrowing nem and an already established DSB..
It won't be a problem at all unless your DSB is already "unhealthy"..

mikem101
09/17/2017, 06:20 PM
Don't be scared about a burrowing nem and an already established DSB..
It won't be a problem at all unless your DSB is already "unhealthy"..

The hard part is keeping them healthy, you can siphon the sand but that's about it. All the tanks I've seen with them at some point experience problems because of it. It for sure can be done but you add WAY more work for yourself long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flsalty
09/17/2017, 06:45 PM
Will it make a difference that the bio load won't be huge before the final stocking? We are talking about maybe three fish and a CUC in a 65g before adding nems and some more inverts a year later.

mikem101
09/17/2017, 06:48 PM
Will it make a difference that the bio load won't be huge before the final stocking? We are talking about maybe three fish and a CUC in a 65g before adding nems and some more inverts a year later.

It's not really the bio load its buildup deep in the sand bed. You definitely can do it man don't get me wrong just requires cleaning the sand very well every water change or maybe every other. Just a very tedious task ya know, most people won't take the extra care to clean it the right way especially 5 years down the road ya know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zsuman101
09/17/2017, 07:25 PM
you definately need to maintain a dsb, it will just turn into a swamp in 2yrs, dsb is pretty much an outdated practice now. just a half inch or so is plenty... and you will also have to maintain that as well,.. good luck... zsu

SAT
09/18/2017, 07:49 PM
My DSB is 14 years old and seems as healthy as ever. I understand some people have had trouble, perhaps because due to overload, but that's clearly not inevitable.

You should not dig up large sections of a DSB as you will be exposing anoxic areas. However, I think it should be ok to open up a small area for an anemone. If you know where you want the anemone, you could reserve a spot for it with a rock or piece of PVC pipe.

I would use coral or limestone sand to keep the anoxic zones from becoming too acidic, not black sand.

flsalty
09/18/2017, 11:20 PM
My DSB is 14 years old and seems as healthy as ever. I understand some people have had trouble, perhaps because due to overload, but that's clearly not inevitable.

You should not dig up large sections of a DSB as you will be exposing anoxic areas. However, I think it should be ok to open up a small area for an anemone. If you know where you want the anemone, you could reserve a spot for it with a rock or piece of PVC pipe.

I would use coral or limestone sand to keep the anoxic zones from becoming too acidic, not black sand.

That sounds like a good idea using a rock or pvc for a place holder. By black sand I meant the sand would turn black in spots where it was disturbed.

cincyjim
09/19/2017, 04:57 AM
I've never experienced any issues with my deep sand bed. Like mentioned above, small area disturbance is fine. I have a Diamond Watchman Goby that is constantly digging to the bottom of the tank and moving the sand around and no issues have been caused with him doing that.