PDA

View Full Version : Super silent!

Aeon
09/17/2017, 03:15 PM
Hi!

Doing a new build, 66 gal tank. 20 gal sump.

Does any one know the most silent equipment right now?

Submersible Pump?

Powerheads?

Skimmer?

fcmatt
09/17/2017, 03:24 PM
Tunze for powerheads.
Royal exclusiv for main pump.
Royal exclusiv skimmer with their pump.

Unless you meant gear that does not make your wallet cry a little? Dunno.

Aeon
09/17/2017, 03:38 PM
Tunze for powerheads.
Royal exclusiv for main pump.
Royal exclusiv skimmer with their pump.

Unless you meant gear that does not make your wallet cry a little? Dunno.

The wallet can cry, just want a super silent build. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Aeon
09/17/2017, 03:42 PM
Hahaha ok, maby the Royal exclusive stuff was a little too expensive for me!

Is there anything silent in a little lower price range?

fcmatt
09/17/2017, 04:06 PM
Hahaha ok, maby the Royal exclusive stuff was a little too expensive for me!

Is there anything silent in a little lower price range?

I bought my gear all used. Saves a ton. Just be patient.

reefinder
09/17/2017, 04:42 PM
Jebao return pump is whisper quiet

mcgyvr
09/17/2017, 05:43 PM
I am using a Jebao DCP return pump (run at 50%) and their PP series powerheads and a bubble magus curve 5 skimmer on my 80G w/40G sump and all that equipment is very quiet..

Make sure that you use a drain/overflow system that also matches your needs... a poor choice there can make far more noise than any pumps,etc.. on a tank..
I only run bean animal drain system with nice wide overflow boxes.. (either internal or external.. I feel internal will usually be quieter but proper choices in an external can make it just as quiet..specifically carefully chosen heights of the bulkheads/elbow locations to avoid water splashing sounds)

But there are many other pumps/equipment too that are pretty darn quiet now.. Just avoid older pumps (mag drive,etc..) if noise is a concern..

ca1ore
09/17/2017, 07:13 PM
What's the difference between silent and super silent :lol:? Many of the DC pumps are silent - they make no noise. Most powerheads also make little to no noise. Skimmer is unlikely to be silent, though. Quiet, if muffled, but not silent ..... or super silent.

Lsufan
09/17/2017, 08:41 PM
For a quiet setup the first thing that I would do is make sure to use a good drain setup & overflow. That can be the loudest part of the system if not setup properly. I wouldn't setup a tank over 30 gallons without using a beananimal drain setup & as long of a overflow box as possible.

Aeon
09/18/2017, 03:03 AM
I am using a Jebao DCP return pump (run at 50%) and their PP series powerheads and a bubble magus curve 5 skimmer on my 80G w/40G sump and all that equipment is very quiet..

Make sure that you use a drain/overflow system that also matches your needs... a poor choice there can make far more noise than any pumps,etc.. on a tank..
I only run bean animal drain system with nice wide overflow boxes.. (either internal or external.. I feel internal will usually be quieter but proper choices in an external can make it just as quiet..specifically carefully chosen heights of the bulkheads/elbow locations to avoid water splashing sounds)

But there are many other pumps/equipment too that are pretty darn quiet now.. Just avoid older pumps (mag drive,etc..) if noise is a concern..

It must be as silent as it is possible to be. Super silent, not quite silent.
I am aware of the overflow part. That little little sound of a good setup overflow I can handle. I dont want to hear anything else from the aquarium. No humming sound from the powerheads and no sound from the sump with the Skimmer and return pump.

Aeon
09/18/2017, 03:21 AM
Do you know any good places for used equipement? I know ebay.. ;-)

LQT
09/18/2017, 05:34 AM

You need to have 50 meaningful posts as a member here... that'll open you up to the classified section here on RC.

alton
09/18/2017, 05:36 AM

Here on RC. I have bought several items here on RC from members.

zachfishman
09/18/2017, 06:55 AM
My Sicce Syncra 2.0 is practically inaudible. I have it placed on a silicone mat in the sump to reduce vibration transfer as well. If you don't want to shell out for a Vectra, I recommend the Syncra.

Aeon
09/18/2017, 06:57 AM
I see... thanks for info!

BKREEFBABY
09/18/2017, 03:44 PM
I own a varios 6 pump and it's dead silent!

Aeon
09/19/2017, 07:14 AM
Dead silent, is the best silent :strange:

ktownhero
09/19/2017, 07:29 AM
Be very careful with your expectations of "silent" -- a lot of people say "silent" and "dead silent" (as if there are degrees) incorrectly. What they usually mean is "quiet". The only items that are truly silent are the DC pumps and powerheads. Don't fall for dishonest marketing like the Sicce "Silent" pumps -- they absolutely are not silent. Maybe the very tiny ones, but not the larger ones (like 3 and above).

If you don't want to break the bank on a DC return pump, I have found that after a break in period and some silicon padding, my Eheim 1262 is quite quiet... And it'll probably still be running when I send my 4 month old to college.

paal
09/19/2017, 08:01 AM
Bubble king skimmer with a red dragon speedy pump. RD return pump. BeanAnimal overflow.
Oversized high end circulation pumps running at half speed.

Now, if you choose a lighting fixture with active cooling, that will be your biggest noise factor by far.

Aeon
09/19/2017, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the answer!

I am thinking about buying... people say those are very very silent...they are totally qiuet. Do you agree!?

EcoTech Marine VorTech MP40wQD

&

VarioS-8 Controllable DC Pump (2700 GPH) - or...
EcoTech Marine Vectra L1 Aquarium DC Water Pump
Jebao DCT-6000

&

Tunze USA 9410.000 DOC or....
NYOS Quantum 120

Aeon
09/19/2017, 08:06 AM
For light I thing Kessel A360WE Tuna Blue

Is that light sound less!??

mcgyvr
09/19/2017, 08:11 AM
Be very careful with your expectations of "silent" -- a lot of people say "silent" and "dead silent" (as if there are degrees) incorrectly. What they usually mean is "quiet". The only items that are truly silent are the DC pumps and powerheads.

ALL pumps will make noise.. DC included..

I wish they all published a decibel rating based on the same measurement standard..
Then we could stop these.. "quiet..quiet"... "truly silent"... "dead silent",etc...
discussions..

paal
09/19/2017, 08:42 AM
Sent the below email to nyos.
They were nice and sent me a new impeller right away, but it changed nothing. After I told them that I never got a reply back.
Sold the nyos for 6 beers.

To this day, I am still not sure if the skimmer was working as intended or if I had a faulty product. It is working great (but still just as loud) in my friend's basement sump

Hi again.
I ran the Nyos Quantum for a few more weeks, but I still could not get it quiet. Yesterday, I just had to go buy a new skimmer as my wife simply refused me to have the Quantum running anymore.

The new skimmer is a Bubble King Double Cone with an adjustable pump (I set it to 22W to match the Nyos Quantum) I measured the sound level using my phone.
I know this is not a "scientific" way to measure noise, but even though the numbers are not 100% correct, they are still valid when comparing the two skimmers. The sound is measured with the sump cabint doors open and about a meter away from the actual skimmers. Water level is 20.5 cm for both tests. The ambient noise at just over 30db is mainly caused by the return pump. (Now that I finally have a proper skimmer I think I have to replace the return pump also. hehe)

When the Nyos Quantum starts up, you clearly see the huge increase in noise. During normal operations, this skimmer increases the decibel reading by almost 20. (from low 30 to low 50(!)) When touching the lid, you can feel the skimmer vibrating. The main noise is a rather deep hum and closing the cabinet doors does not help a lot.

When starting the Bubble King, the noise only increases about 2-3 decibel. (pump is started at about 8 seconds in the picture, small gurgling noise when skimmer body is almost full at 15 sec)

I did numerous tests and got similar results.
Is this a skimmer I could have returned? I have not yet bothered discussing the issue with the online store from where I bought it, as I wanted your opinion first. If you think this is how the skimmer is supposed to operate, I will just try to sell it instead. (I will have to warn the buyer though / sell it very cheap)

Sincerely,
Paal Rune.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10795&pictureid=75478

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10795&pictureid=75479

DivingTheWorld
09/19/2017, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the answer!

I am thinking about buying... people say those are very very silent...they are totally qiuet. Do you agree!?

EcoTech Marine VorTech MP40wQD

&

VarioS-8 Controllable DC Pump (2700 GPH) - or...
EcoTech Marine Vectra L1 Aquarium DC Water Pump
Jebao DCT-6000

&

Tunze USA 9410.000 DOC or....
NYOS Quantum 120

I have a pair of MP40wQD powerheads on my tank. I run them at 85% and I can't hear them standing next to the tank. Our tank is in the family room where we watch tv, so I need it silent.

I also have a Tunze Nanostream 6025 on my water change water in the garage. I wouldn't say it's loud, but I can hear it from across the garage. I would not put one on my display tank.

ktownhero
09/19/2017, 02:14 PM
I have a pair of MP40wQD powerheads on my tank. I run them at 85% and I can't hear them standing next to the tank. Our tank is in the family room where we watch tv, so I need it silent.

I also have a Tunze Nanostream 6025 on my water change water in the garage. I wouldn't say it's loud, but I can hear it from across the garage. I would not put one on my display tank.

Yeah I can't hear my MP40wQDs either. The only time I can make myself hear them is if I do something like pulse on 100%. Even then, it's not loud enough to be bothersome.

acsamples79
09/19/2017, 02:57 PM
like mentioned, DC pumps and skimmers run with DC pumps will help tremendously. I run a synergy reef overflow (bean animal) an ecotech vectra DC return pump, and a Skimz DC skimmer. with the stand doors wide open its not noticeable over any ambient noise in the room (tv, talking, outdoors noise, Hvac, etc) i honestly didnt even think it was running one morning i woke up shortly after setting it all up. powerhead wise, Ecotech quiet drives are probably the best option (no experience just reading reviews) i currently have 2 small jebaos (newest model) and at max, a VERY slight hum when close to the tank, again not noticeable over ambient noise. I have a Jebao PP-20 (the biggest new model) and its pretty loud honestly.

Chris Mills
09/19/2017, 04:49 PM
Tunze pumps work well and are quiet running.

Aeon
09/20/2017, 12:35 AM
That is great! So I go for the VorTech MP40wQD QuietDrive!

How silent are your skimmers and return pump?

Aeon
09/20/2017, 12:51 AM
That is great! So I go for the VorTech MP40wQD QuietDrive!

How silent are your skimmers and return pump?

GQsmooth
09/20/2017, 09:14 AM
Yup, I would go with he MP40's for PH's. I have Jebao PP-15's and can hear them across the room.

For a pump, you may want to look into Deepwater Aquatics as another cheaper alternative.

2000se
09/21/2017, 05:50 AM
What's the difference between silent and super silent :lol:? Many of the DC pumps are silent - they make no noise. Most powerheads also make little to no noise. Skimmer is unlikely to be silent, though. Quiet, if muffled, but not silent ..... or super silent.

skimmer always gets you.. No matter how silent everything else is...

pisanoal
09/21/2017, 09:49 AM
skimmer always gets you.. No matter how silent everything else is...

Even one of the DC pump operated ones? Especially if that pump is oversized running at 50%. My skimmer noise comes from the pump it uses. The silencer on it does a good job at minimizing airflow noise to the point where I can't hear it.

That being said, my sump is in my garage, so I could have a radio playing in it and wouldn't care. Also, not being argumentative, just curious if you had the same experience with the dc pump skimmers (I have never owned one).

jacksonpt
09/21/2017, 12:57 PM
Are you able to run a remote/basement sump? That would take skimmer and return pump noise out of the conversation.

mako61
09/21/2017, 01:14 PM
All my pumps are DC, I cant hear them sitting a few feet from the tank. I get an occasional gurgle from overflow, it seems to drift adjustment a bit. I sometimes hear the Neptune Wav powerheads kick on when they are pulsing hard. I had a similar size tank 10+ years ago and this tank is probably 10% of the noise. A good overflow and decent DC return/skimmer pumps make a huge difference.