PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish white bump with red blotch near gill

tamtam
09/17/2017, 05:38 PM
Trying to figure out what is going on with this little guy.
In QT treated the bottle directions of Prazipro 2 full course treatments.
Was just An unchanging white bump for about a month (from a trusted lfs) until today.

Water parameters are all good.
Ammonia/nitrites/nitrates =0
Ph 8
Using good water with Redsea Coral Pro Salt 1.025.
Weekly water changes.

Eating well and otherwise in good shape.

Thoughts and treatment tips? Couldn't find matching photos so I thought at the least I could contribute to the image Bank.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170917/f17edd7d626cd6bb16bf7cc4e15c2f62.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170917/6f5ce36b6a55269a33ffd3d659e7c9f9.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170917/594ccf14bfcc268a91a1599776b31863.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170917/6a07b91bc3ca7394ffe743b6763fd419.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustinM
09/18/2017, 12:23 AM
It almost looks like a viral infection. I would wait for ngoodermuth, she is well versed with fish bacterial infections if that's what it is. She might have a better idea on a treatment plan for you.

As for now, just keep an eye on it. Is it still in QT?

Luis A M
09/18/2017, 12:06 PM
Very good pic!
I don{t see the white bump,but an ugly lesion below the gill plare,is that what you mean?
Regarding the small exulcerations in the head,easier to see on the white band,I have seen them many times and am not sure what they are.

tamtam
09/19/2017, 04:09 AM
It almost looks like a viral infection. I would wait for ngoodermuth, she is well versed with fish bacterial infections if that's what it is. She might have a better idea on a treatment plan for you.

As for now, just keep an eye on it. Is it still in QT?

Still in QT. Did a freshwater/prazipro dip for 3 minutes today, just in case of external parasites.

lagatbezan
09/19/2017, 02:07 PM
The red might be an infection of some sort, maybe secondary infection from the flukes coming off. You can either observe it and it gets better on its own or treat with antibiotics cocktail mix of furan2, metroplex and kanaplex. This will give you a broad treatment.
It will also treat for uronema which tends to look like an infection but is parasitic.

Ngoodermuth
09/19/2017, 03:46 PM
Those smaller spots on the head are sensory pits. They are normal, but these do look a bit more pronounced which can be concerning. Have you seen any white-stringy poop?

Regarding the ulcer on the gill, I'm not 100% what that is but redness usually indicates infection. Since he is in QT, you might try a mix of kanaplex and metroplex for the possible infection (and the slight possibility of uronema, even though it's not my biggest suspect here)

The red ulcer could also be hemorrhagic septicemia which is usually caused by a virus, but can more rarely be caused by toxins released by an internal parasite (nematodes) which, coincidentally, could also explain the deterioration of the sensory pits in the head. This would be addressed by treating with antibiotics as mentioned above AND food soaking metronidazole (with seachem focus as a binder). Septicemia can spread internally, which is why the food soaking is recommended. The white-stringy poop would confirm internal parasites are at the core of all this...but the metro would take care of them as well.

Edit. The long and short... I would treat with kanaplex/metroplex in the QT and also food soak metroplex, while keeping an eye out for white-stringy poop [emoji3]

tamtam
09/20/2017, 08:52 PM
White stringy poop confirmed.

JustinM
09/21/2017, 12:46 PM
Those smaller spots on the head are sensory pits. They are normal, but these do look a bit more pronounced which can be concerning. Have you seen any white-stringy poop?

Regarding the ulcer on the gill, I'm not 100% what that is but redness usually indicates infection. Since he is in QT, you might try a mix of kanaplex and metroplex for the possible infection (and the slight possibility of uronema, even though it's not my biggest suspect here)

The red ulcer could also be hemorrhagic septicemia which is usually caused by a virus, but can more rarely be caused by toxins released by an internal parasite (nematodes) which, coincidentally, could also explain the deterioration of the sensory pits in the head. This would be addressed by treating with antibiotics as mentioned above AND food soaking metronidazole (with seachem focus as a binder). Septicemia can spread internally, which is why the food soaking is recommended. The white-stringy poop would confirm internal parasites are at the core of all this...but the metro would take care of them as well.

Edit. The long and short... I would treat with kanaplex/metroplex in the QT and also food soak metroplex, while keeping an eye out for white-stringy poop [emoji3]

+1, this should fix you right up

Ngoodermuth
09/21/2017, 02:29 PM
That confirms my suspicions then...treat with the metroplex bound food for at least 10 days, or longer if white-stringy poop continues; while dosing the kanaplex/metroplex combo in the water (also for 10 days). The hemorrhagic septicemia is basically a blood infection, secondary to the parasites in this case, but antibiotics are still needed...and quickly.

tamtam
09/23/2017, 06:07 PM
That confirms my suspicions then...treat with the metroplex bound food for at least 10 days, or longer if white-stringy poop continues; while dosing the kanaplex/metroplex combo in the water (also for 10 days). The hemorrhagic septicemia is basically a blood infection, secondary to the parasites in this case, but antibiotics are still needed...and quickly.

Update: Started Metroplex and Kanaplex in water treatment Thursday evening.

The pictures clown has not eaten for a few days. Tried frozen and several dry foods with and without metro focus bonded.

Starting to look emaciated. Red spot on chin turning more in to a lump. Still stringy white poop.

Iíll keep updating.

Ngoodermuth
09/23/2017, 08:42 PM
Maybe try live foods to get him eating again, black worms might work. Antibiotics take time to work, hopefully the fish can hang in there. If not, there's not much more you can do. Maybe an acriflavine bath...ruby reef rally and API fungus cure contain acriflavine.

tamtam
09/24/2017, 07:33 PM
He didnít make it. Passed away tonight. He had not eaten for a few days. The lesion on the chin was still there and he fought until the very end. :-( what started as a small white bump became a lesion and then a larger bump. Other clown in QT still seems really energetic and is searching for his slower buddy. Thank you for the help and advice. I hope it helps someone in the future who seems the same.