PDA

View Full Version : API test kit

ReeferJody
09/17/2017, 07:28 PM
:headwallblue:Which do I need? API seawater master test kit or reef master test kit. Or both? And if I get the reef master test kit should I also get a separate test for ammonia?

kurt_n
09/17/2017, 07:44 PM
All depends on what tests you need and where you're at in the hobby...

If you're starting out, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH is your primary concern during the cycle and as you're adding stock to your tank. As your tank gets older then you shouldn't be seeing any ammonia or nitrite and pH/alkalinity/calcium starts to become your major concern, with nitrates and phosphates being a secondary concern.

Oceanavekid
09/18/2017, 04:06 PM
All depends on what tests you need and where you're at in the hobby...

If you're starting out, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH is your primary concern during the cycle and as you're adding stock to your tank. As your tank gets older then you shouldn't be seeing any ammonia or nitrite and pH/alkalinity/calcium starts to become your major concern, with nitrates and phosphates being a secondary concern.

This ^ :thumbsup:

You'll get a lot of different answers about test kits. API is fine if you're starting out. When you get more advanced and start buying coral you might want to go with a "better" test kit.

Red Sea, Hanna or salifert

Ron Reefman
09/19/2017, 05:32 AM
Ammonia, nitrate for starters. Nitrite if you really want to follow the cycle on a start up tank. pH is a waste of money, pH is what it is and you almost can't change it.

Once you are adding corals Alk, Ca and Mg are the big three. Phosphate is useful if you have algae issues.

IMHO, API test kits are just as good as Salifert, Red Sea or Hanna. I have 4 tanks and I use API for everything but Mg and I use Salifert for that (API doesn't make a Mg test).

Our club did a mass test with about 30 people using all their different kits testing the same water and the results were all over the map. Even people with the same kit using the same water got different results. It's more about doing the test the same way every time (consistency). I use API and I get very similar results with Salifert. I find API easier to use, but it's all about your comfort level. It isn't about finding the exact number, it's about seeing trends over time. Log your results and you'll see if things change over time. Don't chase having the 'perfect' water parameters.