PDA

View Full Version : Gfci

devildog999
09/17/2017, 09:20 PM
Going to install a GFCI and was hoping someone might recommend a trustworthy one.

Lsufan
09/17/2017, 09:51 PM
I don't think the brand will really make a big difference but I use leviton because that is what my supply house carries. Most gfcis are well made, they don't make the real cheap ones like the regular outlets u can get from Home Depot for 80 cents. They are a little more expensive but if u are installing it under your stand they do make weather resistant ones that u may want to use.

I havnt ever had a problem with nuisance tripping of a gfi on any of my systems. I did have trouble with a afci circuit breaker that my mh lights would trip when the ballast kicked on

mcgyvr
09/18/2017, 05:54 AM
assuming you meant an outlet.. then yes...leviton +1

alton
09/18/2017, 06:32 AM
https://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/gfci/self-test/commercial/spec-grade/tamper-resistant/audible-alarm/2097traw.aspx
I like the alarm. Remember all new GFCI's are self testing

mcgyvr
09/18/2017, 08:17 AM
^^ thats cool... haven't seen one with an audible alarm.. nice feature to have I guess..

legrand (pass and seymour) is another brand I would trust too..

ktownhero
09/18/2017, 03:28 PM
You aren't going to find a "bad" GFCI outlet... They are all rated to do what they do. You are primarily choosing on aesthetics and other features like built-in child proofing or whatever.

Leopardshark
09/18/2017, 06:31 PM
buy it at premiumaquatics.com and itīs just plug and play.

devildog999
09/19/2017, 05:47 AM
Appreciate it everyone. I currently have a plugin GFCI but have been thinking about actually hardwiring one. I appreciate the suggestions, really liking the idea behind the one that has an audible alarm.

ktownhero
09/19/2017, 03:15 PM
Appreciate it everyone. I currently have a plugin GFCI but have been thinking about actually hardwiring one. I appreciate the suggestions, really liking the idea behind the one that has an audible alarm.

There's no real advantage to having a hard wired one vs a plugin one. I wouldn't bother if the one you have now works for your situation.

Chris Mills
09/19/2017, 05:01 PM
I really like tower mfg shock buster GFCI outlets.

Work great for me for years.

zomb
09/19/2017, 09:24 PM
I put in a GFCI, and I have a ground probe I put in only when I'm going to touch the water, and I have an anti-arc breaker on the circuit the GFCI is on. I've never heard of a GFCI being bad by brand though. Keep in mind the only way the GFCI works if it has the extra ground ( the third prong ) if a device like a powerhead doesn't have it you still run the risk of shock. If you use a ground probe it sits in the water and will plug into the GFCI so if there is an electric shock it will kill the power like the GFCI should. The reason I only put it in when I'm going to touch the water is because if I'm not home and something happens, the power is out to everything. Fish aren't grounded so they won't be shocked. The anti-arc breaker is just me being OCD and covering every aspect that could go wrong. Hard wired GFCI are like $10, to me its easier just to put it in.