PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Question!

KingPringles
09/17/2017, 09:28 PM
Hi All,

Used to run both freshwater and FOWLR tanks back in the day for about 4 years. Recently got back into the hobby but now renting in NY...with an ADA 45p (17.7" x 10.6" x 11.8") 9 gallon for the time being. -13 lbs LR and running an empty Eheim canister (for chemipure) carried over from my hi tech planted days.
-RODI and all those prereqs checked off
- Just got an AI Prime HD and will begin adding corals in the upcoming months

-(1) sm. Mocha Davinci Occellaris
-(1) sm. Lawnmower Blenny
- Emerald crab, Turbans, hermit crabs

QUESTION: Do I realistically have room for any other livestock? Ideally sixline wrasse, neon dottyback, clown goby...but open to suggestions.

Appreciate the input[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

KingPringles
09/17/2017, 09:35 PM
Hi All,

Used to run both freshwater and FOWLR tanks back in the day for about 4 years. Recently got back into the hobby but now renting in NY...with an ADA 45p (17.7" x 10.6" x 11.8") 9 gallon for the time being. -13 lbs LR and running an empty Eheim canister (for chemipure) carried over from my hi tech planted days.

QUESTION: Do I realistically have room for any other livestock? Ideally sixline wrasse, neon dottyback, clown goby...but open to suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TapatalkPhotos for reference?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170918/6995847aae710a9aca215e1ad4934e50.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170918/6740669ed1f26da29996ad8502dd6a14.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170918/bcddbbfa8abab0f8cc6c056c323da2a6.jpg

Half Vaped
09/18/2017, 02:28 AM
Nice planted Nano and welcome to Reef Central.

I think the Lawnmower Blenny is a bad choice for a 9G. They get way too big and need a lot of algae to keep healthy. The Six-Line Wrasse and any Dottyback will likely turn psycho in such a small enclosure.

A Tail-Spot Blenny would make a nice replacement for the Lawnmower, as would a number of other Blennies, but Blennies are generally jumpers, so you should get a screen top for best results. Firefish would also work if you had a screen top.

Look into smaller, peaceful fish that don't jump. Clown Gobies should work. Pink-Streaked or Tanaka Possum Wrasses might work. Maybe even a Royal Gramma (sometimes jumpy and/or aggressive, but not always), Shrimp-Goby pair, Red-Banded Waspfish or Eviota/Trimma Gobies.

I suggest you load up on inverts, like Sexy Shrimp, Pom-Pom Crabs, Squat Lobsters and Porcelain Crabs. They're perfect for that size tank.

mike61289
09/18/2017, 06:10 AM
Hi All,

Even the clown will outgrow a tank that size. There aren't really any suitable fish for a 9 gallon. I would return the two fish you have and either stick to invertebrates only or keep a single clown goby. That's all I can recommend.

A 9 gallon is very small and unbalanced chemically. The chemical balance will change drastically very quickly and that will negatively affect your livestock in the long run. If you have the space, try to upgrade to a 30 gallon minimum. If not, return the fish and try your best to maintain the chemical balance for the rest of the livestock.

JustinM
09/18/2017, 05:30 PM
If you can keep your temps below 70, the Catalina Goby is an awesome looking fish. If not there are neon gobies, clown gobies, all stay pretty much under 2"

Rilelen
09/20/2017, 09:41 PM
You might want to check out the nano forums as well. I'd think that clown gobies, neon gobies, some shrimp-goby pairs, etc., would work well in a tank your size. Those little guys are super fascinating and get lost easily in a big tank; nanos are a great place to really showcase them and let them shine.

OrionN
09/21/2017, 05:07 AM
Shrimp gobies are good fish for a 9 gallon reef tank. You need to keep more small rock and coarse sand so that the shrimp can build caves for them.
Pictures of my two of my favorites are below. Of these I had the opportunity to keep the Magnificent Shrimp Goby but not the Flaming Prawn Goby.

Flaming Prawn Goby (NOT MY PICTURE). This is not a true shrimp goby and very small. Hard to find and not inexpensive. Photo credit of the Flaming Prawn goby is zoaddict
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk39/chopsie326/Flamingeck1.jpg
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk39/chopsie326/Houdini.jpg

Magnificent Prawn Goby (NOT MY PICTURE EITHER)
http://www.danintranet.org/storymedia/16850.jpg

malacoda
09/27/2017, 07:31 PM
You might want to check out the nano forums as well. I'd think that clown gobies, neon gobies, some shrimp-goby pairs, etc., would work well in a tank your size. Those little guys are super fascinating and get lost easily in a big tank; nanos are a great place to really showcase them and let them shine.

+1 In a tank that size, gobies are typically the way to go. If you have any reputable, dedicated LFSs in your area (e.g. not a general pet store like Petco but rather a store solely dedicated to fish) it might be worth chatting with them. There are far more types of small gobies available than what you'll normally see on LiveAquaria.