PDA

View Full Version : Ati sunpower 8 x 39w - not using all the bulbs

fishkeeprian
09/18/2017, 02:54 AM
Hi, I purchased an ATI Sunpower 39 x 8 bulb fixture at a steal, but it will be a little overkill on my tank. I've worked out and been advised a 6 bulb unit would have been more and adequate but I could not pass on this. Could I run 6 bulbs only in the 8 bulb unit? I was thinking of not using the back bulb or the very front, would there be any problems in doing this?

Thanks

LQT
09/18/2017, 03:33 AM
It is doable. However, you would have to do some ballast rewiring in order to put bulb 1 and bulb 8 on the separate channel (ballast & power chord). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the stock configuration of the 8 bulb Sunpowers have bulb 2 and bulb 7 on the separate channel. I know for the 6 bulb Sunpowers, bulb 2 and bulb 5 are on the separate channel.

fishkeeprian
09/18/2017, 03:41 AM
It is doable. However, you would have to do some ballast rewiring in order to put bulb 1 and bulb 8 on the separate channel (ballast & power chord). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the stock configuration of the 8 bulb Sunpowers have bulb 2 and bulb 7 on the separate channel. I know for the 6 bulb Sunpowers, bulb 2 and bulb 5 are on the separate channel.

So I am assuming it's not as easy as not putting the bulbs in?

Cheers

LQT
09/18/2017, 03:57 AM
It shouldn't be as intimidating as it sounds. The fixture is quite easy to open up. After that, it's just a matter of swapping wires from one ballast to another.

This video gives you an idea of how to take a Sunpower apart.

https://youtu.be/687IST9sTtI

fishkeeprian
09/18/2017, 04:27 AM
It shouldn't be as intimidating as it sounds. The fixture is quite easy to open up. After that, it's just a matter of swapping wires from one ballast to another.

This video gives you an idea of how to take a Sunpower apart.

https://youtu.be/687IST9sTtI

Thank you. If I take it apart, and send you some pics of the arrangement inside, could you give me some guidance on what to change?

Thanks

LQT
09/18/2017, 04:54 AM
I could certainly try. I've actually never owned an ATI Sunpower before. I have taken apart a Sunlight Supply TEK T5 fixture before so in principle, it should be very similar with respect to wiring.

If I were you, I'd also post this in the "Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment" section. There you will have more technically savvy people to help assist you.

rtparty
09/18/2017, 05:01 AM
LQT is correct. You will have to rewire the internals to make it work.