PDA

View Full Version : Tips to buy the best possible live rock from a LFS

allendehl
09/18/2017, 06:43 AM
Hello folks!

I am almost done gathering all I need to setup my tank (Reefer 350), except fr the tank yet (long story of hurricanes delaying the fright)

My plan is to place 50Lbs of dry rock from RC along with a few more pounds of live rock. I wanted to get my live rock from TBS but the cost is too high if I only get a few pounds so I may have to buy it from a LFS.

What tips can you provide to help me pick the right place and rock to buy? know some LFS sell live rock that is not so alive or are full of unwanted stuff, so I want to do the best possible job when picking them

Than you!

flsalty
09/18/2017, 07:30 AM
If you find any decent live rock anywhere near on par with TBS in the tri-county area, let me know. Have you talked with TBS? I believe they will ship FedEx to anywhere in Florida.

Everything I've seen around here is basically just dry rock that has been cured. You might as well just use the RC rock, IMO.

There are some companies similar to TBS down in the Keys, like KP Aquatics, but they aren't cheap either.

tjm9331
09/18/2017, 07:36 AM
Why not go with all RC rock?

That way you eliminate any possibility of unwanted critters getting into your tank. Sure it might take a little while longer to cycle but at least you'll have peace of mind knowing that your tank is pest free...for now :p

Tikosyn
09/18/2017, 07:42 AM
You have pretty much the same plan as me, reefcleaners for the majority of the rock and seeding with some live rock. It's definitely difficult finding quality live rock at LFS, I went and looked at some the other day which didn't have very much coralline and was covered in aiptasia. I have been looking at Atlantic reef conservation premium live rock. They are on amazon and their prices aren't too bad. Reviews seem to be good as well.

Sk8r
09/18/2017, 11:39 AM
Go for limestone, or coral rubble, with lots of holes and porosity, and read the sticky on conditioning rock, ^^^^^ up top.

smatter
09/18/2017, 01:25 PM
Looks like you are in FL. I wouldn't even consider anything other than TBS Pukani. It's the nicest rock I've seen in a long long time. Call Richard he will hook you up and I'm pretty sure he was back to standard ops shortly after the storm.

slanted
09/18/2017, 02:01 PM
Check out Arc Reef right there in Miami, they have an artificial reef right off Government Cut.

I got thirty pounds of their rock in May and I really like it. Bet you could drop by their facility and pick your pieces.

I had a few gorilla crabs in mine, and a mantis I was very lucky to get out a few weeks ago when I spotted him on a top rock. You could set traps for the unwanted critters before putting any stock in the tank.

I also got a pistol shrimp, and I really like the guy. He was the length of my pinky nail when I put him in the tank; he was off the rock and in the shipping bag. He's approaching nearly two inches now. Fun to watch the hermits get blasted out of his cave system like bowling balls.

Good luck!

Rilelen
09/18/2017, 02:21 PM
Seconded...even if you have to drive, go TBS! ;)

allendehl
09/18/2017, 02:24 PM
Thank you all!

slanted, I found ARC and I like they are in Miami Beach so I would definitely drop by. I'll still like to try to talk to Richard in TBS since he is by far the most recommended guy around, and see if he has a more efficient way to ship less than 100lbs of rock. ARC is definitely my plan B.

smatter
09/18/2017, 02:29 PM
I know it's more expensive than seeding dry rock but you will be MUCH happier with all live rock. I have used dry rock many times with success I just hate that it looks like icebergs forever and you will have more algal woes during its establishment than you will with 100% live rock. Be sure to ask for the live Pukani at TBS.

flsalty
09/18/2017, 02:34 PM
Check out Arc Reef right there in Miami, they have an artificial reef right off Government Cut.

I got thirty pounds of their rock in May and I really like it. Bet you could drop by their facility and pick your pieces.

I had a few gorilla crabs in mine, and a mantis I was very lucky to get out a few weeks ago when I spotted him on a top rock. You could set traps for the unwanted critters before putting any stock in the tank.

I also got a pistol shrimp, and I really like the guy. He was the length of my pinky nail when I put him in the tank; he was off the rock and in the shipping bag. He's approaching nearly two inches now. Fun to watch the hermits get blasted out of his cave system like bowling balls.

Good luck!

I was looking at Arc Reef. Did theirs have much growing on it, or was it mostly crabs and shrimp?

slanted
09/19/2017, 06:21 PM
Flsalty, there is stuff growing on the Arc Reef rocks, but perhaps not as much as the TBS rocks. I have feather dusters, other worms, trunicates, etc. Three different colors of plating corallline, pink, purple and grey.

No aiptasia, which is a consideration when you check their site. They say since their reef is deeper no reports of aiptasia.

Just saw what I believe is a pencil urchin this week. I mentioned Arc for the OP cuz it's local.

slanted
09/19/2017, 06:23 PM
Oh, and flame scallops and tiny clams. Still surviving and even thriving...

flsalty
09/20/2017, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info. They are more or less local to me as well. I'm looking to get LR from several different sources so those two are definitely on my list.

liverock
09/20/2017, 04:25 PM
Thank you all!

slanted, I found ARC and I like they are in Miami Beach so I would definitely drop by. I'll still like to try to talk to Richard in TBS since he is by far the most recommended guy around, and see if he has a more efficient way to ship less than 100lbs of rock. ARC is definitely my plan B.

East to ship in Florida VIA fed ex...overnight service at ground prices....do it all the time...15# rock will cost about $20 to ship to you....spin1:

allendehl
09/25/2017, 08:48 AM
East to ship in Florida VIA fed ex...overnight service at ground prices....do it all the time...15# rock will cost about $20 to ship to you....spin1:

Thank you! I already spoke with Dan and he mentioned it. Once I get everything setup I'll be giving him a call!

Thanks again!