PDA

View Full Version : possible aiptasia

tjm9331
09/18/2017, 08:16 AM
So as some of you may know I had a recent ich outbreak in my tank and had to remove all my fish.

Well it would seem that my DT has reached a point now where parameters are optimal for the growth of some new things that I have not seen in my tank before now and it has been running for the past year and 4 months now.

an Acan coral has been in my tank for about 6 or 7 months now and hasn't really done much until just recently, it's starting to show some decent color and growth. Sadly though on one side of it there is something else growing out of it.

I looked up some photos of aiptasia and it looks pretty dang close, there is only one and it's small. I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to taking a picture of it yet, I will try to do that tonight.

But if it is aiptasia, which I'm fairly certain it is. What would be the best course of action to take care of it before it becomes a problem?

I've read about lemon juice or boiling water? I'd like to avoid things like aiptasia x or anything like that unless that's really the only thing that will work.

I'd pull out the rock that it's on and just toss it but its not really on a rock it seems to be growing right out of the base of the coral. I suppose if it really comes down to it I can remove the coral completely but I'd like to avoid that if I could.

Thanks for the help.

billdogg
09/18/2017, 08:23 AM
A syringe and boiling water has always been my go-to, especially for a limited number. You don't even have to move the coral if you can get to it easily enough. Fill a syringe (I use a 10ml) with boiling water and then cook that little bugger right where it sits. I have found that this method is 100% effective and will not harm anything nearby.

tjm9331
09/18/2017, 08:29 AM
A syringe and boiling water has always been my go-to, especially for a limited number. You don't even have to move the coral if you can get to it easily enough. Fill a syringe (I use a 10ml) with boiling water and then cook that little bugger right where it sits. I have found that this method is 100% effective and will not harm anything nearby.

Thanks Bill, I think that's the method I'm going to go with. Quick question though, I've read that the water cools too quickly from filling the syringe to putting the syringe in the tank and by the time you inject the aiptasia the temp of the water is not hot enough to do anything.

Have you seen this to be true at any time? or so long as the water is boiling the temp change isn't significant enough to make a difference?

Oh and where is the best to inject, right at the base of the aiptasia or will anywhere work?

Thanks for the help.

billdogg
09/18/2017, 09:08 AM
I've never had that problem. I would suggest that you don't fill the syringe, have a beer, go to the bathroom, and then, finally, get around to cooking the offending aiptasia. Fill the syringe from the pan on the stove and go directly to the tank. I like to place the tip of the syringe right on top of the anemone (don't worry if it retracts) and just blast away.

Remember - any temp over about 90 or 100 F will kill them, but the hotter the better IMO

hth

tjm9331
09/18/2017, 09:37 AM
Thanks Bill, I'll let you know how it goes!

tjm9331
09/25/2017, 10:15 AM
I've never had that problem. I would suggest that you don't fill the syringe, have a beer, go to the bathroom, and then, finally, get around to cooking the offending aiptasia. Fill the syringe from the pan on the stove and go directly to the tank. I like to place the tip of the syringe right on top of the anemone (don't worry if it retracts) and just blast away.

Remember - any temp over about 90 or 100 F will kill them, but the hotter the better IMO

hth

So I shot the sucker with a full syringe of boiling water (approx. 60ml), seemed to work too, the thing looked like it disintegrated and I didn't see it for a few days...until yesterday.

It is back, still small but obviously tough as nails. Should I try the boiling water again or should I try something else like lemon juice?

billdogg
09/25/2017, 10:23 AM
Either or will work fine. Iím very surprised that the boiling water didnít get it. Could it be another? Iíve never had that fail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjm9331
09/25/2017, 10:33 AM
Either or will work fine. Iím very surprised that the boiling water didnít get it. Could it be another? Iíve never had that fail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose it could be another but it looks like its growing from the same spot the other was so I couldn't say for sure. I'll try the boiling water again tonight.

mcgyvr
09/25/2017, 10:33 AM
boiling water alone never worked really well for me in the past when I had them..

I've used Ms Wages Pickling lime/water mixed up to a toothpaste like consistency.. and shoot it down into its mouth..
That seemed to work better..

tjm9331
09/25/2017, 10:50 AM
boiling water alone never worked really well for me in the past when I had them..

I've used Ms Wages Pickling lime/water mixed up to a toothpaste like consistency.. and shoot it down into its mouth..
That seemed to work better..

If the 2nd round of boiling water doesn't work then I'll go with that next, I'll have to order it though as I don't think it's readily available in my area. Thanks for the help!

mcgyvr
09/25/2017, 11:18 AM
Its available at any grocery store..
Sometimes by the canning section.. Maybe near ziplock bags,etc..
But its there..