PDA

View Full Version : Wash your new SOCKS first!

RussC
09/18/2017, 08:56 AM
Wow, did I learn something really really fast. Don't put a new filter sock in the tank without first washing it off thoroughly. My skimmer lost its mind! I mean, it went berserk. After it calmed down, I calmed down and read up online. Yep, rookie mistake. Just sharing my experience in hopes of helping out another newbie out there!

smatter
09/18/2017, 02:06 PM
If they made socks out of phenol-free polyester they wouldn't make your skimmer go bonkers. The nylon mesh socks don't have a surfactant effect and are much easier to clean. I see you have a REEFER. You should look into the filter cups that The Machine Shop in Bradenton Florida makes. He designed them specifically for the REEFER series tanks. I use phenol-free filter wadding from Tunze in them. You just pull out the cup and fling the floss into the trash, so easy. No more socks here!

RussC
09/18/2017, 02:11 PM
Yep, tried that felt sock. Like a chemical reaction!

Jon0807
09/18/2017, 08:13 PM
Mine actually says to wash before use lol

RussC
09/18/2017, 09:24 PM
When all else fails, I'll read the instructions.

Daihiep
09/19/2017, 01:08 AM
Good to know, thanks for the tip!

Dr RBG
09/19/2017, 08:02 PM
If they made socks out of phenol-free polyester they wouldn't make your skimmer go bonkers. The nylon mesh socks don't have a surfactant effect and are much easier to clean. I see you have a REEFER. You should look into the filter cups that The Machine Shop in Bradenton Florida makes. He designed them specifically for the REEFER series tanks. I use phenol-free filter wadding from Tunze in them. You just pull out the cup and fling the floss into the trash, so easy. No more socks here!

Do you have any contact info for the Machine shop? Thanks:thumbsup:

SycoCell
09/20/2017, 07:05 AM
I did this last week. I knew it would go nuts - but I figured after a few hours, it would calm down. Nope, 3 days later I threw my old ones back in. Figured it was worth a shot!

RussC
09/20/2017, 07:20 AM
I will install the overflow float switch on my skimmer now. After I saw how quickly things can happen, I figure might as well.

RobZilla04
09/20/2017, 07:32 AM
I rinse my poly filter, media filter, and phosphate filter pad before installing. They still make my skimmer go a little crazy for the first few hours.

smatter
09/20/2017, 10:15 AM
Do you have any contact info for the Machine shop? Thanks:thumbsup:

Here ya go: the-mold-shop.com

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the media cups. I've been very happy with mine.