PDA

View Full Version : Refugium "dark cycle"

PAXpress
09/18/2017, 10:23 AM
Has anyone tested? Is it beneficial to have lights shut off for 8+ hours a day in the fuge to give the plants some time to have darkness or no? Just curious on thoughts I have my fuge light off for a few hours mainly because I don't think it needs to run constantly and it seems to balance out ph a bit better if it goes off for a bit while the DT lights are on. Just my preference though, curious what others think?

mcgyvr
09/18/2017, 10:28 AM
Based on my knowledge of plants it shouldn't matter..
They don't bloom (some algaes do and you don't want them too so 24 hours is best for those for sure but others don't bloom/flower ever) so they don't require a dark cycle to trigger the activity and all dark reactions in photosynthesis can occur with or without light..

SAT
09/18/2017, 12:09 PM
Spotte (Seawater Aquariums, 1979 & Captive Seawater Fishes, 1992) cited three studies from the 1970s & 80s finding that macroalgae and phytoplankton showed decreased photosynthesis when kept under continuous light. He recommended a photoperiod of 16 hours for growing macroalgae.

Scurvy Dawg
09/18/2017, 01:32 PM
Has anyone tested? Is it beneficial to have lights shut off for 8+ hours a day in the fuge to give the plants some time to have darkness or no? Just curious on thoughts I have my fuge light off for a few hours mainly because I don't think it needs to run constantly and it seems to balance out ph a bit better if it goes off for a bit while the DT lights are on. Just my preference though, curious what others think?

I run a reverse light cycle and my chaeto does fine even with low phosphates.

Fredfish
09/18/2017, 04:30 PM
Spotte (Seawater Aquariums, 1979 & Captive Seawater Fishes, 1992) cited three studies from the 1970s & 80s finding that macroalgae and phytoplankton showed decreased photosynthesis when kept under continuous light. He recommended a photoperiod of 16 hours for growing macroalgae.
Yup. The research has been done on many plants over many years and it always comes out the same. Plants of any kind need a dark cycle.

16 on, 8 off will work just fine.

PAXpress
09/20/2017, 02:42 PM
Interesting.