PDA

View Full Version : Lost Battle with dino flagellates

extremeshannon
09/18/2017, 05:16 PM
I have lost the battle with dino flagellates. I am taking my tank down and restarting it :debi: What is the best thing to clean the tank with?

Of course the all the pipes and pump will need to be cleaned also so maybe scrub clean and put fresh water with vinegar?

Any help will be great. Would like to get started on this to get it back up and running.

THanks

SaltieG
09/18/2017, 05:36 PM
A few years ago when I restarted due to dinos and gha I just cleaned all the equipment and tank with vinegar and restarted with new rock and sand. All has been fine since.

SAT
09/19/2017, 07:29 AM
Is this the same problem you reported in 2015? I am wondering what you tried before you gave up.

If you really want to sterilize equipment, I suggest a weak solution of household bleach. Vinegar is good for removing calcium deposits.

extremeshannon
09/19/2017, 09:29 AM
Yes this is the same problem.
I have turned the lights out for Weeks and it did get better.
Vacuum and cleaned the tanks. Removed as much as I can
Clean up Crews
Removed rocks from tank
I tried Vodka I believe back a few years ago.

I am down to just a few fish left in tanks. I have begun the process of taking them down and going get cleaning in a week or so.

SAT
09/19/2017, 09:36 AM
Thanks... sounds like you gave it good try. Sorry it didn't work out.

DDon
09/19/2017, 10:36 AM
I've battled dinos since early 2015 myself and was heading down the same path until some recent success.
From the research I did to ensure total eradication during a reset I found the following info.

The hardest thing to kill when sterilizing will be any encysted dinos that may still be hanging around. There was testing that was performed on dino cysts in ships ballast water. To ensure a kill it took greater than 500 ppm of free chlorine residual or 5000 ppm of peroxide for 24 hours (at 500 ppm free chlorine there was still a small percentage of cysts that were still viable and at 1000 ppm there was 100% kill). Vinegar won't do it as the cysts survived a pH of 2.0.
I would drain the system and refill with fresh water and add however many gallons of bleach you need to bring your residual to the required levels then circulate for 24 hours. May need to add additional bleach during the process as any organics in the system will lower the free chlorine residual.

Out of curiosity, what type of dinos do you have?

FoxFace Fish
09/19/2017, 10:44 AM
Do not give up!!!!

extremeshannon
09/19/2017, 07:14 PM
Do not give up!!!!

I am not getting rid of my tank. Just starting it over so I have a beautiful clean tank. :wavehand:

extremeshannon
09/19/2017, 07:18 PM
I've battled dinos since early 2015 myself and was heading down the same path until some recent success.
From the research I did to ensure total eradication during a reset I found the following info.

The hardest thing to kill when sterilizing will be any encysted dinos that may still be hanging around. There was testing that was performed on dino cysts in ships ballast water. To ensure a kill it took greater than 500 ppm of free chlorine residual or 5000 ppm of peroxide for 24 hours (at 500 ppm free chlorine there was still a small percentage of cysts that were still viable and at 1000 ppm there was 100% kill). Vinegar won't do it as the cysts survived a pH of 2.0.
I would drain the system and refill with fresh water and add however many gallons of bleach you need to bring your residual to the required levels then circulate for 24 hours. May need to add additional bleach during the process as any organics in the system will lower the free chlorine residual.

Out of curiosity, what type of dinos do you have?

I am not sure which Dinos I have. I have been ignoring the tank for months.

Thanks for the info. How can I tell if I have enough bleach in the water as I circulate?
As far as bleach goes just cheap old Clorox?

Since I am doing this I am going to rebuild my stand and upgrade some stuff. This tank will rock when I am done.

DDon
09/19/2017, 11:05 PM
Just plain Clorox or any other brand of bleach. There are some calculators online that will get you close. What is your water volume? Not sure if it is full system volume listed in your signature

extremeshannon
09/20/2017, 03:58 PM
The system is around 650 Gallons

d2mini
09/21/2017, 07:46 AM
I emptied mine, filled it with tap and through in a cup of bleach (regular household bleach with nothing in it) and ran it that way for 24 hours. Then emptied it again and dried out what I could.
Don't worry about areas you can't get to like plumbing, it's just ammonia and will dissipate.
If you have coral left, you're going to want to dip them. If they are on frag plugs, dip the plugs in peroxide or put them on new plugs. And while you are at it, dip the corals in Bayer or other dip solution as well.
I also replaced all rock and sand with new.