PDA

View Full Version : Irma

yraveh
09/18/2017, 06:19 PM
During the 9 days of power outage, I ran the Circulating pump and skimmer and LED light.
The house had no AC and was in the high 80s to 90s.
I find that many of my hard (SPS+LPS) coral died and the remaining +sofies show significant distress.
Could it because of the heat? The fish made it so I didnt expect the coral ti be more vulnerable than fish to heat.

Tripod1404
09/18/2017, 06:24 PM
Corals are far more vulnerable to heat than fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heathlindner25
09/18/2017, 06:34 PM
Definitely the heat .

RobZilla04
09/19/2017, 06:30 AM
Heat. I assume you had a generator to run that equipment? Circulation is more important IMO than the lighting. Think about a storm over a reef that lasts several days. Nine might be pushing the limit. I had no power for about three days during Matthew, only 2 days post Irma, and I ran the circulation pump, wave makers, and heaters off my generator.

Sk8r
09/19/2017, 12:46 PM
I had an 8 day winter blackout with no pump or generator---hand pouring only. Coral came through the cold, but it does not like heat. The reason fish don't fare well at either extreme is that their biological processes are slowed by cold, and can go too far down...and that hot water is oxygen short, so they run out of oxygen. Fish are generally more fragile, IME.