PDA

View Full Version : The 20 gallon nano SPS Tank journal

Ramracer32
09/18/2017, 08:57 PM
Hello, After 15 years away from salt water and keeping big freshwater tanks im back to salt :lol2: After years of looking at this forum I have come to conclusion that keeping things as simple as possible is going to be a great fit for me. The current tank is a 20 gallon shallow Innovative marine fresh water aquarium that i drilled. My sump is a converted 10 gallon tank with sump kit purchased online. Skimmer is an octopus classic 110. the return pump is an Octopus Varios 2 DC pump (pretty amazing how Quiet it runs). For the power head im using a jebao tw-10, and lighting is a radion xr15w pro 4th gen. There is about 8lbs of rock and used coarse live sand. I will eventually get a 3 head dosing system and will be using the brs 2 part system.

So far the tank has been cycling for 3 weeks on a fish less method dosing ammonia. I finally got the bacteria to bring my ammonia from 3+ to under.25 and my nitrates just jumped so everything doing what i want. Hopefully only a few weeks left or less for fish.

My plan is to do a dominated sps tank with 2 clown fish and a few crabs/snails.

I have a few friends with very successful aquariums and they attribute their success to forum communities like this so making a journal like this showing my ups and downs with all of your great input im hoping to keep this going for many years. If anyone has a suggestion, Question, Or anything that seems weird please chime in

LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!! :wavehand:

Ramracer32
09/18/2017, 09:02 PM
Not sure why the images came out sideways, if you click twice they go upright.

kalan850
09/18/2017, 10:00 PM
Very cool tank. How do you like the jebao?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramracer32
09/19/2017, 05:11 PM
Thank you kalan, I love the jebao so far. Pretty crazy what you get for the price point and the thing is crazy powerful (too much flow on high setting for this tank). I will probably get a second one for the other side of the tank and get more of a wave action.

James404
09/20/2017, 09:01 AM
Great looking tank! Looking forward to seeing this grow :)

Ramracer32
10/11/2017, 06:35 PM
A little update. got a pair of clowns in the tank and made a netting topper to prevent any jumping. I have been having some hard times with my octo protein skimmer and might try something else. Other than that everything is staying stable will probably wait a few more weeks before trying coral :lol2:

Ramracer32
11/03/2017, 03:56 PM
we got coral!!!!! :dance: I had tested the system with a green birdsnest and has done very well so i pulled the trigger on 4 different frags and an orange plate coral. Unfortunately my phones camera does not do the colors justice at all and will have to get a better camera.

my alk is 7.8
CA 425
Mag 1500
salinity 1.025
Temp 80.1F

The place i purchased the corals from I matched their parameters so will see how everything goes.

All my numbers have been very stable except for my alkalinity i constantly have to dose daily to keep stable. I read that the bacteria might be feeding on it so will have to figure out a better way of nutrient export. I feel like the small pellet food im feeding my clowns is messy and the problem so might try something else. Im not a big fan of running chemical filtration along with water changes, but might have to do that.

snyder415
11/09/2017, 10:53 PM
great looking tank