PDA

View Full Version : how to get fish out of overflow?

kouma
09/18/2017, 10:43 PM
Its been a week since my flame hawkfish jumped into the overflow. I have a BA overflow and sometime I see him chilling ontop one of the pipes. I tried catching him with the net a few times with no luck. All my pipes have safety drain nets to prevent snails and other objects getting suck in the pipes and causing a disaster, hence there is no way for him to end up in the sump.

Any ideas?

hogfanreefer
09/18/2017, 10:46 PM
I have my set up designed to be able to handle all of the water in the overflow. I just pull one of my stand pipes and fish him out of the sump. Be prepared to have to dive in to the empty overflow on the slight chance he manages not to get sucked down to the sump.

kouma
09/18/2017, 10:50 PM
this is how my setup looks like. This was a pic while the tank is being built, obviously I do not have this clearance anymore. Last hole is for return

paal
09/19/2017, 02:33 AM
Buy some cheap filter floss and put it in there. He will then be forced to the top where you can catch him.

NewJack
09/19/2017, 04:04 AM
dang that's a good ideal paal

jmm
09/19/2017, 12:12 PM
The pipes in my overflow box prevented a simple netting and the holes were too small for the fish to pass through. I bought pvc fittings to cap off all the drains and returns (5 of them) so the water would stay in the overflow box and I pulled all three drains and the two returns. That cleared the way to net out the fish.

kouma
09/21/2017, 11:09 AM
Buy some cheap filter floss and put it in there. He will then be forced to the top where you can catch him.

thats a good idea..i might have to really stuff the filter floss in there