PDA

View Full Version : Big Fat Stomatella

karimwassef
09/19/2017, 12:35 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7h5Qxbz-zGI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love it when the rock I made with PVC and concrete gets crawling with life

wertoiuy
09/19/2017, 12:12 PM
Oh man, I have a lot of those, and have been trying for a while now to identify them. They breed like crazy.

Do you know if they are harmful, or a pest in some way? I haven't noticed them doing anything to corals; they mostly just cruise around on the glass. However, whenever there is a starfish in there, there is always a bunch of these surrounding the starfish. Do they eat starfish, or is it possible that the starfish is eating them? Do you know?

mcgyvr
09/19/2017, 12:29 PM
Stomatella snails are harmless grazers.. They won't harm anything.. unless you are algae

And "fat stomatella" is not politically correct anymore.. I think you are supposed to call them "big boned stomatella" or something :shrug:

karimwassef
09/19/2017, 12:32 PM
They're awesome! Stomatella and chitons ROCK!

They're easy prey for crabs though. If you have an explosion of stoma, then you probably don't have many crabs or crustacean-munching fish like triggers.

karimwassef
09/19/2017, 12:33 PM
How about "big fat and beautiful"

karimwassef
09/19/2017, 12:37 PM
They're usually nocturnal in my tank so seeing this big one walking around during light hours was impressive.

Their co-location with starfish is probably just an algae feeding party...

wilder
09/20/2017, 08:44 PM
Stomatella snails are harmless grazers.. They won't harm anything.. unless you are algae

And "fat stomatella" is not politically correct anymore.. I think you are supposed to call them "big boned stomatella" or something :shrug:

This cracked me up. Thank you for that laugh :-)