PDA

View Full Version : Best Webcam?

new2u
09/19/2017, 06:50 AM
Hi all

I recently upgraded my tank and since I travel I need to keep tabs on it remotely. Currently I'm using a wireless dome surveillance cam (off brand chinese something) but it doesn't have the greatest resolution/speed. Any recommendations on best options for remote tank viewing?

Most of my search results seemed older and the general consensus seemed to be to go with Axis. That seems to be a pretty price option without wifi, I am currently tempted to try upgrading to a nest cam but I'm not sure it will be any better.

Thanks!
WIllis

mcgyvr
09/19/2017, 08:17 AM
What is the current resolution/refresh rate,etc.. specifications so we can logically compare/suggest?
Is that all we are using to define "best"?
What is your typical internet speed (upload really?)
Do you have a computer local to run it or do you need IP/ethernet capabilities?
Do you want motion/sound detection,etc?

If you don't have the bandwidth it really doesn't matter what cam you get though..
If you know what resolution you aren't happy with then you can pick one that exceeds that with pretty good confidence that its going to be an improvement..

d0ughb0y
09/19/2017, 08:32 AM
higher resolution does not mean better when viewing on smartphone.
I have a high res foscam and a regular foscam and the regular foscam response if very fast on the phone and the high res is slow and often hangs. and panning the camera has a huge lag on the high res camera.

mcgyvr
09/19/2017, 10:14 AM
higher resolution does not mean better when viewing on smartphone.
I have a high res foscam and a regular foscam and the regular foscam response if very fast on the phone and the high res is slow and often hangs. and panning the camera has a huge lag on the high res camera.

Yep.. hence my bandwidth comment..

zomb
09/19/2017, 08:29 PM
I have a 2 way audio one so the fish and I can communicate. It works really well, but the fish never respond :-\

At any rate I agree with the people above, a lot of apps for cameras will only allow low quality streaming to smartphones because all people do is see a lot of data being ran from the app and think its bad. I have a camera system for my house and I had to adjust it on the DVR to allow better quality to my phone. It does burn up a lot of data. And does get slow sometimes trying to download the better quality.

new2u
09/20/2017, 11:47 AM
I am working on getting all the specs for y'all. I guess the primary forms of idenfiying "best' is
-WiFi enabled (would be really hard to run a direct line)
-Frame Rate
-Picture Quality
-Price

Currently my camera is using the MIPC app for viewing, and actually works pretty well on mobile devices but has a terrible web interface. I don't understand why the frame rate is so different from the web viewer, but I keep the tank up on a monitor all day at work and that is really my primary reason I am looking to upgrade.

My bandwidth for downloads/uploads is pretty high quality, I will run a speed test when I get back home on Friday afternoon.

I may try to hook up my existing IP camera to a different viewing software to see if that alleviates some of the issue.

I am thinking that upgrading to 1080 from 720 is a bad idea, based on the bandwidth comments that everyone is making. I am considering the move from 2.8 ghz to 5 since the 5ghz signal in that room is good and there are lots of existing devices

Brieninsac
09/20/2017, 11:57 AM
I just bought one of these off Amazon and it's working out great. Very good HD quality for the price.

http://amzn.to/2xhBAZc