PDA

View Full Version : millions of itsy bitsy bugs

Rtdrumz
09/19/2017, 07:35 AM
Last night about 15 minutes after the lighting switched to moonlight, I noticed millions of almost microscopic bugs being blown around. The fish were going crazy eating them. This has never happened before. (that we have noticed) I turned off all of the pumps in order to get a better look. These things were darting around like pods. I haven't put pods in my 'fuge. Is it possible to have a population "explosion"? By explosion I mean from not seeing any to **!!BOOM!!** MILLIONS IN MY DISPLAY! Next Question : Should I be concerned about any effects on corals?

nereefpat
09/19/2017, 07:39 AM
Sounds like it could be copepods. Do you ever notice them on the glass?

I never purposely added any pods to my tank, but I would guess that I have them by the millions. I wouldn't be concerned about them hurting your corals, as many corals would love to eat them.

ktownhero
09/19/2017, 08:20 AM
No worries, enjoy :) Sign of a well established tank.

d0ughb0y
09/19/2017, 08:24 AM
its fine if you have fish that eats them. its not if you don't.

cincyjim
09/19/2017, 08:56 AM
I would see that when one of my Skunk shrimp would spawn.

Rtdrumz
09/19/2017, 10:10 AM
Sounds like it could be copepods. Do you ever notice them on the glass?

I never purposely added any pods to my tank, but I would guess that I have them by the millions. I wouldn't be concerned about them hurting your corals, as many corals would love to eat them.

I have not seen any pods on the glass. I have noticed "bugs" moving around in the filter media. I expect that they are some sort of pods. I haven't been too concerned because there aren't that many. I have 2 cleaner shrimp. A spawn could be a possibility. It would have to be some sort of spawn ...right? The DT was full of these things. No worries now ... whatever it was is gone....

ktownhero
09/19/2017, 11:58 AM
its fine if you have fish that eats them. its not if you don't.

This is not true. They are always good even if the tank doesn't have a single fish that would touch them. They are self-regulating tank cleaners.

d0ughb0y
09/19/2017, 12:02 PM
This is not true. They are always good even if the tank doesn't have a single fish that would touch them. They are self-regulating tank cleaners.

^^^lmao

I speak from actual experience. bad things will happen to you tank if it goes unchecked. too much of anything can be bad.

cincyjim
09/19/2017, 12:37 PM
Mine have spawned a few times and it is usually when the lights have been off for a hour or two. Must be some sort of key to make them spawn when the light goes off. I've never had any survive. I did have one that got about 1/4" long and that I thought it was going to make it but...

karimwassef
09/19/2017, 02:14 PM
All fish will eat small pods. The risk is if they die quickly and cause a flatworm explosion.

ktownhero
09/19/2017, 02:17 PM
^^^lmao

I speak from actual experience. bad things will happen to you tank if it goes unchecked. too much of anything can be bad.

You're confusing a symptom of a problem for the problem itself. Pods are self regulating and can only exist excessively if there is an excessive detritus problem in the tank. If the pods occurred naturally in the tank, then they weren't the problem. If you bought a bag 100x too big for your tank and dumped it all in then *maybe* that's an issue...