PDA

View Full Version : Media reactor for a 500 gallon tank

Honks69
09/19/2017, 11:45 AM
I am looking for a media reactor to run on my soon to be setup 500 gallon total volume system

I am going to run either GFO or Rowaphos unless someone has a better recommendation on a tank this large

i was looking at the BRS jumbo reactors but at that price point there are many other options as well

Thanks

slief
09/19/2017, 01:00 PM
I use a pair of the BRS Jumbo reactors on my system. One for GFO and the other for Carbon. I honestly really like them. I like that they have the hanging brackets as mine are attached to the framing under my display. I also like the cartridges are easily removed and refilled. Compared to a traditional reactor, I find these much more convenient when it comes to changing media since I don't have to disconnect plumbing to clean the reactor or refill it. Just use the wrench to remove the canister and bring the canister and cartridge to the sink for cleaning and refill. I use John Guest connections where the reactor connects to my sump so rinsing is easy as well. All I need to do is pull the tube from the JG fitting and put the tube in a bucket before opening the valve to flush the media.

d2mini
09/19/2017, 01:52 PM
Sometimes I wish I could see that Scott had a post in a thread without actually opening said thread.
Because there is usually nothing left to contribute. :D

Honks69
09/19/2017, 02:05 PM
I use a pair of the BRS Jumbo reactors on my system. One for GFO and the other for Carbon. I honestly really like them. I like that they have the hanging brackets as mine are attached to the framing under my display. I also like the cartridges are easily removed and refilled. Compared to a traditional reactor, I find these much more convenient when it comes to changing media since I don't have to disconnect plumbing to clean the reactor or refill it. Just use the wrench to remove the canister and bring the canister and cartridge to the sink for cleaning and refill. I use John Guest connections where the reactor connects to my sump so rinsing is easy as well. All I need to do is pull the tube from the JG fitting and put the tube in a bucket before opening the valve to flush the media.

Thanks. I was leaning towards those but wanted to make sure there wasn't something else that others have tried and liked

Raoul5Duke
09/19/2017, 02:19 PM
I prefer the Bluefin Reactors from Triton Aquatics. I always had issues with the BRS filters clogging.

slief
09/19/2017, 05:28 PM
I prefer the Bluefin Reactors from Triton Aquatics. I always had issues with the BRS filters clogging.

The only way the jumbo filters would clog is if you had them packed too full of media and with too low of flow. Also, cheaper gate valves may pose that issue as well if you're running really low flow. I've been using the Jumbo reactors for over 7 years now and never really had an issue with clogging. Those Buefin reactors look nice though. Granted, they don't like like anything special in terms of the other standard reactors out there.

Honks69
09/22/2017, 08:45 AM
Thanks everyone