PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Max S Series (400, 500, 650) Stock Circulation Enough?

StinkinTuna
09/19/2017, 05:10 PM
Was wondering for those who have a larger red sea Max S series tank with the integrated circulation pumps if they were enough for sps and most lps?

In particular would the 650 need a wavemaker like an mp40? If so would the x4 stock circulation pumps interfere with it as far as water currents go?

I have a 650 coming in a few days and wanted to know if I should budget in the price for a wavemaker or how one would work in this tank.

mcgyvr
09/19/2017, 05:14 PM
Those systems should have everything needed for any type of coral..

For the price you paid they better..;)

StinkinTuna
09/19/2017, 05:32 PM
Yes I know it should right! $$$

I was just wondering since all 4 powerheads are all in the back pushing water forward. I've always had some from the side also to mix the currents up a bit (though have never had a wavemaker or pulse type powerhead before).

Unfortunately the ones in the back are just static as far as I can tell. I don't believe they are meant to be connected to a controller at all.

Would be nice to add a "wave" schedule to make things that much more interesting in there.

droog
09/19/2017, 07:19 PM
Its probably enough circulation but the powerheads are static and they generate quite a lot of heat. On my S-500 I took them out and replaced with Vortech MP40s to vary the flow.

There is a RedSea sponsored forum here, you might find more traffic and answers from RedSea there. They are good AllInOne systems... got me into the hobby.

-droog

Optionman
09/19/2017, 08:07 PM
I have the 650 and the 4 recirculating pumps plus the main return create strong flow. I do adjust the 4 heads very often to change things up. I have a crowded mixed reef with large LPS, softies, and a dozen SPS.

Strategic rock placement and angling of the 4 recirculating heads should be all you need. 379997

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StinkinTuna
09/19/2017, 11:10 PM
Thats a beautiful tank optionman! I like it alot!

Thanks for all the replies glad to know the stock powerheads will do the job.

Droog, did you just remove the stock powereads alltogether or put something where they were?

I thought there was a red sea forum on the sponsor forums but its not there anymore.I guess they are no longer a sponsor?

I was knd of looking forward to a wavemaker since ive never used one before but as long as there is enough flow withbthe stock powerheads, I guess it also saves me some $$!

mcgyvr
09/20/2017, 04:25 AM
If there was a red sea forum do you think they would say "no the circulation system we include is inadequate" ;)

Optionman
09/20/2017, 05:42 AM
I think an aftermarket nozzle/attachment might be available that moves back and forth. That would be an upgrade but I havenít really explored it. Enjoy the 650!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharpimage
09/20/2017, 06:42 AM
I had a s500 and only had the return and 1 head on at a time for a lps/ softie tank