PDA

View Full Version : Uromena Marinum


smooth09
09/19/2017, 10:07 PM
Hi All,

so I am fairly confident I have Uromena Marinum in one of my 1000L Fowlr system.

I lost a lot of fish and removed/treated the remaining survivors and got rid of them.

The system is currently running with just rock, sand and equipment.

My questions is what is the best way to remove the uronema marinum out of the system. I have been looking at bleach but that does not seem practical to run through the entire system given the volume needed.

My plan is to do a full tear down I will soak rock and sand in 10%bleach for a couple days before rinsing and drying until it is ready to use again.

I can run equipment in a tubs also in 10%bleach - how long should I do this for everything I have read seems 15 to 30 minutes should be fine?

My final question is what is the best way to ensure nothing is left in the tank or plumbing to infect fish when time comes to add new fish???

thanks Joel

lagatbezan
09/19/2017, 10:27 PM
Uronema is a nasty bug that can survive even without any host present so you are correct that everything would need to be torn down, disinfected and cleaned.
I would add bleach to the tank and have it run for a day or two this way it will disinfect all the plumbing and equipment. Then remove all the rocks, equipment and rinse and let fully dry for a few days. giving the rocks an muriatic acid bath might not be bad either. I would personally get all new sand.

smooth09
09/19/2017, 10:50 PM
thanks for that, that's what I sort of figured for me to bleach the system though at a concentration that is adequate I am going to need like 100L of bleach to make up to at least a 10%dilution.

Is there any other alternatives?

what if I run formalin through the whole system would this be more effective then bleach at killing the parasite?
If so from my reading the volume of formalin needed wouldn't be as much as the volume of bleach needed??

thanks for your help

nutbar29
09/19/2017, 11:36 PM
I personally would do the bleach in the whole tank that's only 27 gallons of bleach that will cost about $35.00 - $40.00.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smooth09
09/20/2017, 01:26 AM
out of curiosity what would be more successful at killing the parasite formalin or bleach ?

I can get as much formalin as I need so if that is better may be i should go with that?
if not format price I will just bleach the whole system.

would you recommend also chucking the sand?

Naraku
09/20/2017, 01:27 AM
I've heard that nothing can kill uronema. Some guy, I think reefaholic, tried formalin, nitrofurazone, copper, and chloroquine and still lost his fish.

Please keep us updated if the bleach killed uronema. You will know once you add new fish!

smooth09
09/20/2017, 01:43 AM
it also depends on the side normally when treating fish formalin is used at 37 to 40% as I don't have fish in the system and just want to kill the parasite/remove the parasite from my systwm I would use formalin at a much stronger percentage than this if needed any thoughts on this anyone?

If not I will stick with bleach and no problem will keep you posted.

Ngoodermuth
09/20/2017, 05:46 AM
Cleaning everything with bleach and drying thoroughly... I mean bone dry, are your best bets. Using a hairdryer can help speed the drying along. Sun drying is even better if it's possible in your area (a little too damp this time of year around me)

I too would pitch the sand.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nutbar29
09/20/2017, 06:35 AM
What I would personally do. First is remove the sand and throw it I would throw out my rock as well. Second run the whole tank with bleach for a couple of days. And finally if I could I would take my tank apart and set it outside to dry with the sun for a few days if possible.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinnatus
09/20/2017, 06:53 AM
Chloroquine phosphate cleared my uronema right up.

One of my butterflies was at death's door, looked awful, but he suddenly rebounded and looks great to this day after the treatment.

Ngoodermuth
09/20/2017, 07:35 AM
CP will clear uronema on fish, but won't help in a display tank. Bio-film will actually consume the medication, and light degrades it as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinnatus
09/20/2017, 07:43 AM
Yes, but once the uronema is eradicated, who cares if the CP deteriorates. Better than bleaching everything and throwing it all away. especially in a 265 gallon tank.

If it were me, I would treat the tank with CP and start 'er back up.

Ngoodermuth
09/20/2017, 08:15 AM
The CP needs to stay therapeutic long enough to fully eradicate it though, that's the issue. Did you treat your fish in a display or QT? How long?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lagatbezan
09/20/2017, 09:17 AM
I wouldn't go the formalin route. That stuff is nasty and carcinogenic and wouldn't want to be breathing it in while in dt in the house.
I know metronidazole is what is usually recommended at treating uronema, but not sure about CP.
If CP works you can maybe keep on dosing it, no ill effect of overdosing since there are no inhabitants in the tank.

Naraku
09/20/2017, 09:29 AM
Can you share where you got that batch of CP?

The guy I was mentioning, claimed he had medical grade CP.


Chloroquine phosphate cleared my uronema right up.

One of my butterflies was at death's door, looked awful, but he suddenly rebounded and looks great to this day after the treatment.

smooth09
09/20/2017, 06:33 PM
Okay so I'm going to stick with full tear down

get rid of substrate.

bleach /soak rock before thoroughly rinsing off and allowing ample time to dry.

I will bleach the whole system (tank,equipment,plumbing etc) then rinse out and dry before setting back up.

GTR
09/21/2017, 07:17 AM
I think with bleach you're looking for around 200ppm active ingredient. I use that for a 2-4hour turnaround when sanitizing. Depending on the volume that much bleach will gas off considerably and you wont want to do it in an enclosed inhabited area. Some systems here require 12 gallons of 15.5%. :cough:

Clorox (5.25%) add 35ml per gallon of system volume.

smooth09
09/22/2017, 01:35 AM
I'm in Aus can't find Clorox bleach here.

Can get Glitz or white king

I have a 1000L system (around 265gallon) how much are you saying I should use frommyoir last post the volume to use seems a lot lower than I planned?

GTR
09/25/2017, 07:06 AM
What is the concentration of the product you have available?

The 200 PPM is for sodium hypochlorite and not the water down contents of the bottle. Most household bleach is less the 6% sodium hypochlorite.

pinnatus
09/25/2017, 07:13 AM
The CP needs to stay therapeutic long enough to fully eradicate it though, that's the issue. Did you treat your fish in a display or QT? How long?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I treated my display tank, but do not have corals. Basically did one treatment. And did nothing to remove it.

Can you share where you got that batch of CP?

The guy I was mentioning, claimed he had medical grade CP.

I got it on ebay, don't remember where.

Ngoodermuth
09/25/2017, 07:39 AM
You should try to use pharmaceutical grade CP...sometimes you can talk a veterinarian into writing a prescription for you. There's a question on purity of the eBay stuff. I've read a few instances where it didn't work like expected.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTR
09/25/2017, 07:45 AM
I've been buying meds from http://fishremedies.com/aquaculturechemicals.aspx for over 5 years.
CP, Enrofloxacin, Fenbendazole, Kanamycin, Metronidazole, Methylene Blue, Nitrofurazone and Praziquantel.